Chapter 25 The Path of Ages

I did not relish speaking with Rainulf; he was not a man who could control his anger and so before I put Gerard's offer to him, I made it clear that I had argued against Gerard and was not advocating these terms. My worries, however, were misplaced. Flanked by two of his officers, Rainulf heard me out without any obvious sign of anger.

'I suppose Gerard has kept the silver for himself?'

'Not at all,' I said, outraged, 'it has been shared among everyone, even the women got half shares and the children something.'

'Very well, tell Gerard we accept.'

With that, Rainulf ignored me and began to shout to his men that they make ready to leave.

On my way up the castle stairs, I'd noticed that the mutur had been busy preparing the funeral for their men. Planks, hewn from the wooden interior of the castle, had been stacked up on the entrance floor along with dozens of barrels and the whole building smelled of the tallow they had spread on its wooden floors. Soon, the tower would be aflame.

There were thirty-four of the mutur still alive and gathered outside the castle when I looked back from the bridge.

'Well?' asked Melinde, on my return. 'How was he?'

'Surprisingly calm.'

'I told you,' said Gerard, 'he has a fierce temper when it's on him, Rainulf, but when it blows over, he's open to reason.'

'For my part, I shall be glad when we are a great distance from him. I've never met a more dangerous man.' These words of Melinde made me look sharply at her. I too felt that Rainulf was not to be trusted. Even here, when it seemed he had little choice, he was capable of trying to trick us somehow.

'Arnulf is dying. His leg is rotting. I had better get back to him.'

'Oh Guibert.' Melinde came over and touched my arm. 'I'm so sorry.'

'As am I,' said Gerard. 'He's a good man.'

Back at our cart, Cateline saw me coming and shook her head, dark eyes moist with tears. My heart gave a lurch and I felt tears come to my own eyes. With the cart harnessed to the pony again, its planks were flat and stretched out upon them was my sergeant, shivering, face bright white, red rimmed eyes staring into the sky.

'Arnulf?'

'I can't see,' his voice was a whisper. 'I'm cold all over. I haven't long, listen to me now.'

'I'm listening.' I reached in and took his hand, which was damp with sweat and so terribly light.

'Tell Lord Rocadamour I'm sorry for my pride. When he assigned me the task of looking after you on this expedition, I took offence. It seemed to me he was taking me from his councils to be a schoolmaster to a boy. I was cold towards him, those last few days.'

'He won't ...'

Arnulf waved his other hand. 'Hush. I was wrong. It was an honour. Tell him that. The highest honour. Remind him of Valercy, Le Puy and Nantes. Remind him of those times and say that no man in any of those battles fought more valiantly than his son did on this retreat. And that I consider myself fortunate to have ridden with you and played a part in your training. You are a hero Guibert and you will be famous. And you rescued Cateline when I was sure she was gone into the darkness of the forest forever. Incredible. Live long with her if you can. Be as famous as Achilles if you cannot.'

He let go of my hand and his own dropped heavily.

'Arnulf. I'm sorry for all the times I disobeyed you. When I tried to be the high and mighty lord and put you in your place.'