Chapter 28 Arise, and Let Us Flee

Our cell was so dark that I could not see my hand before my face. By touching the walls, I discovered it was small dry-sided room and had no furniture at all. So I sat on the floor, arms around my knees.

'Is this your first time a prisoner?' Although I could not see his face, it was possible to hear the intention of kindliness and comfort in Count Stephen's tone of voice.

'Yes.'

'It is my third. Which, given the fickle nature of war, is not so bad.'

'What can we expect?'

There was a pause before his answer. 'We'll be given food and drink enough until King Henry to come to Wuttgard. Then, well, I find it is best to prepare for the worst. In your case, you might hang.'

'Hang? Like a commoner?'

'What you said to the sheriff, was incriminating.'

'The truth, you mean?' I said bitterly.

'Yes. It made you a participant in Wernher's death. And unless the mutur are caught, you will be the only man within reach of the king. He will want to make it clear that such lawlessness will always be severely punished and who else can he punish?'

'Should I hope for Rainulf's capture then?'

'That, and someone to intervene on your behalf.'

'What do you mean?'

'How stands Rocadamour with the King of France? Louis and Henry both have daughters of Duke Charles as wives. If Louis would speak for you, then Henry might listen.'

'My father serves the king for forty days each year, no more. And on his return, there is much laughter made at the expense of Louis. For the king has no authority south of the Loire.'

'I know well enough how you southerners value your independence. But if your father has done his duty in good faith, that is grounds enough to ask Louis to vouch for you. You must ask Peter Ninefingers for a messenger and send the man to find the French king with your plea. And if Peter will not allow it, you must bribe someone.'

'With what? My horses and silver are outside and soon to be in possession of the sheriff I think.'

'I'll help you, if I can.'

'O God,' I sighed aloud, envisaging the moment news of my imprisonment reached my family. It would be shameful to incur such an obligation on my father's behalf and even more shameful to be hung as a thief instead of being granted the right to a trial by combat that was my due.

Silently, we sat together in the darkness for some time.

My thoughts were spinning around, from memories of home to berating myself for foolishness: foolishness in taking the ferry with Rainulf that fateful morning and again in walking in to Wuttgard today. Perhaps I should have stayed with the mutur when they left the army?

'You know, earlier when I was listening to the people singing, I found I could not share their happiness. I think I had a premonition of this disaster.' For a moment my mind settled on this recollection and I voiced it, just to hear Count Stephen speak again and take comfort in his presence.

'I understand you. For it seemed to me too that the jocularity of the crowds was ... inappropriate.'

'You mean, because we were camped in fields that had once held our whole army. That the dead were around us?'

'Something of that.' His limbs creaked as he changed his posture. 'But also, here we were on a retreat from a failed undertaking. We set out for Christ. So what does it mean that we few return having fought no one but other Christians? We should be downcast and humble, not cheerful and proud.'