Chapter 1

"Are you sure you have everything?" she asked for the umpteenth time.

Leo rolled his eyes. She couldn't blame him. She was being so nagging. But Jade knew how irresponsible her boyfriend could be sometimes. Their parents were giving them a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to prove that they could go somewhere alone together without any "trouble," and she wanted to make sure everything went perfect so they could prove that they could.

"Yes, Mom," Leo said with a smirk.

"Shut up," she stuck her tongue out at him, "I'm just being careful."

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and squeezed.

"I know," he chuckled, "Yeah, I'm positive."

With a nervous sigh, she led him out the door and to the car, where her mom was waiting to drive them to the park. On the ride over, she checked her backpack one more time. Water bottle? Check. Granola bars? Check. Band-Aids? Got 'em. Pocket knife? She couldn't believe her parents actually let her take one, bet she had it in there. Emergency whistle? Leo thought she was crazy, but she had that, too.

In a little under ten minutes, Jade's mom was pulling into a parking spot and Jade and Leo climbed out of the SUV.

"Have fun, you two," her mom smiled. Then, with a not-so-subtle, meaningful glance at Leo, "And be safe."

"Yes, ma'am," Leo said while Jade nodded.

They closed their doors, and her mom pulled away, leaving them alone together.

"Alright, which trail?" Jade asked.

Leo pretended to think for a moment.

"Hmm... green. I want to see the river. Plus it's my favorite color."

Jade chuckled at her boyfriend's childness. After looking at the map she had printed off from the website, they found the trailhead just west of the parking lot.

Grabbing Jade's hand Leo said, in his best impression of Bilbo Baggins, "We're going on an adventure!"

Laughing, they started off down the trail.