_𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙘𝙝𝙚𝙨𝙨 𝙘𝙡𝙪𝙗

,, 𝘇𝘆𝗶𝗲𝗿 "

-^•*// ꧂

The school bell rung- signifying the end of class. My best friend, Xav, flicked a note to me across the table. When I opened it, it read- "Wanna hang out after school?" Sighing, I turned to him and shook my head. As I was about to shrug, I saw Xav's face pale and as he frantically shook his head like a vibration- almost like he didn't want anyone to kn-

"Mister Zyier Jay. Please stay behind." Mrs. Wigurton, the English teacher waggled her finger at me, a disapproving look etched on her feature and then turned to the rest of the class, "Class is dismissed." She turned to me as the students left, she raised her eyebrows as I shrugged. Xav sent me an apologetic look and shuffled out the door, looking guilty- as he was.

"Okay- well, Wiggy, I actually have a chess club to attend to, so if you don't mind, I'll just-," I tried pushing the chair back and standing up but she placed a hand on my shoulder and slowly pushed me back down.

A incredulous smile settled on her once disapproving glance as she sighed, "Well, I guess chess is a valuable skill- stay here for five minutes and you may leave," I scrunched my mouth as I placed the books in my bag, nodding reluctantly, "Although, I'm quite impressed you managed the first week without landing in detention- yet Monday is always an unlucky day!" Sighing, I leaned against my chair, looking at the clock.

Chess would begin soon and I didn't want to be late to this- I had been looking forward to it all day. It was the first meet up of the year and we would be assigned partners for the competitions and practice. I wasn't really sure who I would partner with again, because my usual partner had moved to Germany a month ago- on Christmas break.

After the five minutes had passed in a daze, I pushed my chair back and waved a goodbye to Mrs. Wigurton, "See you on Wednesday!" She nodded at me, a kind smile on her face as I walked out the door. Picking up my pace, I ran out the gates, rucksack thudding against my back with every step I took.

Sprinting across the sidewalk, I finally reached a tall dusty blue door that was slightly open. I was here.

The door creaked as I opened it and a few people looked up. Polo, the instructor, grinned broadly as I arrived, "Hey Zy, a bit late, eh? Anyways, we've already been paired up for this semester." I raised my eyebrow, slinging my bag to the floor and sitting down cross-legged. Who was I paired with?

Polo nodded at me, pointing to a new girl I hadn't noticed before, near the door and looking up, she smiled shyly at me, "Okay, kids, chop chop, get out the chess pieces and everything, today we'll just be warming up." Shuffles sounded in the room as people chatted, getting acquainted with their buddies. I walked over to the girl, stretching out my arm-

"Want a hand up, love?" I smiled at her, as she raised her eyes to me, and slowly grabbed my hand, standing up.

Her eyes were soft and a gentle brown, accenting her clear glowing skin- hair was tied up in a messy ponytail at the back of her head, wisps floating about as we walked to the equipment tub. She was sporting my school's girl uniform- a white blouse with a silver and red checkered skirt- so I was guessing that she was a new student.

"So, what's your name?" I asked her, unfolding the board and getting out the pieces. She smiled a little bit and placed the pawns-

"Aimee," Her gentle voice made me look up and she smiled innocently at me. Scoffing at myself inside, I nodded,

"Cool name, I'm Zyier."