Wandering Gazes and Captivation

• 𝐋𝐔𝐒𝐓 •

Abandoned by God, he turns to the devil,
who turns him into a vessel of sin.

The ballroom was quiet, not even the whistling of the wind dared to enter the shadow of the manor. It was as though the sun, too, shied away from the place.

It was a place where music was a poisonous aphrodisiac, where cries drowned as though they were absorbed by the darkness itself. The den of a lion that devoured whoever stepped inside in a dare to dance with the devil's son.

After hearing a knock, a young gentleman with eyes glowing purple, like the devil incarnate, walked towards the opulent doors of his manor. He squinted when the light of the sun hit his vision, he tried not to hiss like a vampire exposed to sunlight, instead, he focused his attention on the beautiful woman who looked up at him with doe-like brown eyes.

She was a fair lady, not so much younger than him. Her dress suggested that she was probably from a privileged family, lower nobility. It embraced her body like a second skin, and upon seeing her hug her body protectively, the young duke smiled. 

It was like she was teasing him by hiding her body away. Though his smile appeared gentle at a glance, it masterfully concealed his predatory grin.

"May I help you, young lady?"

"Sir..." Her troubled sigh sounded like a moan, "It's my father. I was hoping you can help me aid him."

He regarded her for a moment before opening the door wide enough to let her enter, "Come in. Let us discuss this inside."

* * * * *

Reese stood from the balcony as servants rushed back and forth in the Imperial Palace's grand ballroom. Lila stood beside her, overlooking the preparations for the royal event.

"Is this your first time to a Royal ball, Lila?" Reese asked, her eyes not once moving away from the hectic preparations.

"Although I've been to some balls and banquets before, I can't say I've been to an event held by the Imperial family," Lila replied honestly. It was her first time entering the ballroom in the Imperial Palace, and it was the most grandiose ballroom she had ever laid eyes on. A large circular chandelier hung on the ceiling, the crystals clinking together in soft movement like that of a bird's chiming. She could envision how it would glow at night when the ball is in full swing, causing a rush of excitement to swell within the confines of her chest.

The balcony she stood in with her Princess was sandwiched between two staircases that curled to the middle, covered by red velvet carpets that muffled the sound of shoes. In a dream, she could see herself being escorted down by a gentleman, all eyes on her as though she was the one of royal blood. She shook her head free from the thought. No, it would be the Princess who will be catching eyes in the ball.

Her eyes drifted to the door far across the space between. Guarding the large twin doors were marble gargoyle statues with ruby eyes gleaming like blood in dead moonlight. Lila, at first, felt unsettled by how lifelike the statues appeared.

"When it is hosted by my family, we never settle with anything less than perfect," Reese said, her eyes focused on the workers who were tying decorations around the venue, "Palace events are like a dream to the common folk. As my Lady-in-waiting, I imagine you will be seeing more of such events from now on."

She turned to her, "Do you have a partner to the ball?"

Lila shook her head, "Do I need one?"

"Perhaps one to entertain yourself," The Princess shrugged, "These events can get quite tedious sometimes."