14 | Indecent Appearances

fourteen • indecent appearances

Daria

"Is he going to follow us all the way?" Dax questions me as he loops an arm around my neck while whispering in my ear.

I turn to look at Simon's car which he is driving behind us at the lowest speed, his eyes through the windshield meeting mine in a disapproving glare.

"He hates you. Cut him some slack," I answer Dax, coughing a little as the smoke from the cigarette he made me inhale earlier lingers around me.

Dax ruffles my hair softly, brushing his nose against my collarbone.

I was kinda surprised to see him at the gates after classes were over. This time though, he didn't have his bike with him. When asked, he said Damien took his ride because his was at the mechanic's after an accident. Not that I have been thinking about his brother but I hoped Damien was okay. We decided to take a walk through the park around the corner and when we walked out, Simon started to follow us.

"How long have you two known each other? Is he an ex or just your bestie?" Dax interrupts my thoughts, running a hand over my hip.

"Who? Simon?" I laugh. "No, he isn't. We weren't the least interested in each other growing up. He has a girlfriend who is probably the sweetest person and the perfect one for him. Simon is just a little possessive when it comes to me because he thinks I make stupid decisions."

Dax joins in my laughter with a deeper chuckle of his own. "I can see why."

We stop near a cafe and I pull away from him, staring him in the eyes as I observe the delicate beauty in them. How he manages to look so perfect every day is almost impossible for me to comprehend. I thought the morning after would be awkward but things between us have been as usual.

I still don't understand this relationship between us. It's not like I am deeply in love with him or want to sleep with him again; it's just the simple fact that I like his company. After Simon and Tina, he is the only one I feel comfortable with. My feelings were always too guarded to expand my friends' circle.

"Dax? Is everything well with you?"

Something flickers on his face at my question but he hides the emotion with a grin. "Why do you ask?"

"You just look a little too happy today. As if you're pretending to be happy. I know that look, believe me."

The smile on his lips narrows a bit, being replaced by the action of his teeth pulling at his lower lip. He looks down at our feet on the pavement, kicking a pebble down to the road.

"It's nothing, just Damien." I tense at the mention of his brother, remembering the latter's face as he chased me in my nightmares. "He's going crazy. Yesterday, I found him in my room and he was asking about the money I took from Simon. I told him they were just a few dollars but he threatened me to give them to him. I... It was embarrassing, Daria. I have no idea what he gets by doing this stuff. First, he sends me to do his bidding and then chastises me about them."

"What an asshole," I mutter to myself but Dax hears me, throwing me a sideways glance. "Sorry, I have an older brother too and I kind of get the feeling when everyone thinks he's better than me, just because he is smarter and a Berkley graduate."

He tilts his head with a look of amusement. "You're the sister of a Berkley graduate? What are you doing in our town?"

"Berkley didn't have enough resources for people like me? The seats were filled by the time I applied. My fault entirely and this was the last university which provided a place for me with extra guidance."