II

When Reyn made it to her first stop on the list, she stopped to take a look at the store.

Gordon's Dye Shop was particularly well hidden if someone was passing by. But if someone knew where to go, it was easy to find. Lodged between two massive buildings, Gordon's was small and squished, being taller than it was wide. It was an ugly faded brown color, and the sign was hanging by one chain. Reyn smiled; just the place she wanted to see.

The old bell dinged as she opened the door. Reyn strolled towards the counter while looking around. She would never get used to the place. The walls were lined with shelves of blond dye locked up in glass containers. Mikel Gordon was the only one in the world with the keys to those glass boxes. A person had to qualify and have an account for Gordon's dye; only the elderly could buy his dye. Since Reyn's grandparents signed up for dye from Gordon, Reyn came twice a week to get their dye. People weren't supposed to get dye for other's, usually the elderly had to get it themselves, but since Gordon and her grandparents were such great friends, Gordon bent a few rules to allow Reyn to take it to them.

Gordon was behind the counter selling his dye to an elderly woman. She finished purchasing it and turned towards the exit. She walked past Reyn, giving her an inquiring look.

"Ah, hello, Reyn!" Gordon boomed, his large voice carrying and echoing off the glass boxes. His smile was infectious, Reyn could feel herself grinning as well. She really liked Gordon and the fact that he was caring and stood up for what he believed in. Gordon appeared to be about forty, with receding dirty blond hair and a pot belly. His pale skin brought out his light brown eyes and pearly white teeth. He was jovial and had a twinkle in his eye like he always thought something was funny. "You've come a little earlier this week," he observed carefully. He began shining one of the boxes with a rag, showing off his large collection. "Your grandparent's dye hasn't come in yet. It's supposed to arrive in three days. The post's been rather slow lately."

Reyn inwardly groaned. Her grandparents could do without dye for another three days, but she couldn't. She still had to go out in public, unlike her grandparents. Still, she plastered a smile on her face to show that it was alright. "Oh, well, that's okay. But I'm afraid my grandparents need dye today. They are going to a party tomorrow, so they'd like to freshen up before going out." A convincing lie. Her grandparents did like to go out before Reyn was born and she made them stay inside so she could use their dye. She felt a pang of guilt at the thought. "Is there anywhere else I can get dye on such a short notice?" She asked politely. She'd come back to Gordon's when their expected dye came in.

Gordon scratched his head. "Hm, well, there's Wasyon's." He answered, setting his rag down. "Just tell him that Gordon sent you. That lad will let you get some even though you're not registered for his store. Just show him your grandparents' Dye Registration licenses and he's bound to let you buy from him. His store is on Ulturne Avenue, behind SeeCee's." His smile returned and he continued his polishing job with another container. "And I'm sorry it hasn't come in yet, but I'll keep it reserved for you when you come back." He added, waving a hand at Reyn when she turned to leave.

"Thanks a lot, Gordon," Reyn called behind her shoulder, lifting a hand in acknowledgement. Too bad Gordon was out. Her mother would be furious that she showed her face to another store. Though the prospect of making her mother mad was enticing, she really couldn't afford being seen by too many other people. They would turn her in for the reward money for finding a non-blond. That's why protecting Reyn was so important to her family. They're only child would be killed for no reason. And her parents felt responsible for it.

Ulturne Avenue was not a safe place. It was a place that was turned a blind eye by the government because they didn't want to fund its repairs. There were so many empty and run-down buildings that it was perfect for shady deals and homeless people. Reyn was sure the people on Ulturne Avenue would love to make extra money, and the best way to do that was to turn in a non-blond.