Prologue

Welcome to the long story of Undertale:

Long ago, two races ruled over Earth: Monsters and humans.

One day, war broke out between the two races.

After a long battle, the humans were victorious.

They sealed the monsters underground with a magic spell.

Many years later...

MT. Ebott. 201X

Legends say that those who climb the mountain never return.

However, many human children seemed to climb this mountain and unwittingly stumble into the realm of the monsters.

The first human was welcomed as a citizen and was adopted by the King and Queen of monsters themselves.

The human became like a sibling to the King and Queen's son.

This human adored the monsters, but hated their own kind, and wanted to help the monsters get to the surface.

The monsters had already discovered that they need 7 human souls to shatter the magical barrier, the thing that is keeping them trapped underground, forever, as their souls are not strong enough.

However, a human soul can pass through it with ease.

They also discovered that their own souls shatter immediately upon death, while human souls remain unharmed upon death.

They know that a monster can absorb human souls, but humans cannot absorb monster souls or the souls of other humans.

In order for an individual to exit through the barrier, they must have one human soul and one monster soul.

And so, the human devised a plan alone with the King and Queen's son.

The human had poisoned themselves to be able to die, and give their soul to the son so he would be able to go to the surface and take 7 souls from the humans to free the monsters.

Once that is done, humanity shall perish.

But the son did not want to kill the humans for their souls, even when they attacked him.

As he had the human's soul absorbed, he had transformed into a being with incredible power.

This way, it would be easy for him to overpower the other humans.

But he refused.

They killed him, and the human's soul he absorbed disappeared.

The King declared war on the humans and wanted to destroy the barrier forever after learning of the events that happened to his children.

But only to bring back the hope of his people.

The Queen, not approving of this, left him and disappeared.

And so, as more human children came to the underground, they learned that the only way home was through the barrier.

But upon approaching the barrier, the King killed them all and collected their souls.

In truth, he did not want this.

But he convinced himself it was the only way.

He had collected 6 souls so far.

Now the underground waited for the last human to come.

...

They had come.

The last human child.

However, this human was different.

This human had the power to alter time, and come back to life, after dying, without the monsters remembering.