Infinite Care - 6: Lan Zhan, the Bard

A/N: The Tortoise of Slaughter incident from Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, from the quill of Lan Zhan the Bard.

*******

The days passed peacefully among the serene mountains of Cloud Recesses. Wei Ying and Lan Zhan had been married for just over two years now. Lan Zhan was having to learn to share his Wei Ying with almost everyone in Cloud Recesses. Wei Ying's cute bunny smile, cheerful nature and a complete lack of sense of self-importance made him a delight to be around. Everyone from Shushu Lan Qiren, Xiongshang and other Elders, down to senior disciples, all flocked to Wei Ying, demanding a piece of his time and attention. Shushu wanted to discuss Jiang swordplay. Xiongshang was inquiring about Jiang Cheng's hobbies. Senior disciples invariably had pesky talismans that wouldn't work and of course, only the Yiling Patriarch could fix them!

Lan Zhan had drunk so many jars of vinegar that even the bland Gusu breakfast congee had begun tasting sour and bitter! Many a day, Lan Zhan didn't get to see Wei Ying at all, for he himself left for Sect duties while Wei Ying was still sleeping and Wei Ying would return from night hunts long after Lan Zhan's bedtime.

"Daddy! Father! Father!" A chorus of young voices broke his reverie. Jin Ling was here? The only person to call the formidable Second Young Master Lan by the name 'Daddy' rushed into the courtyard of the Jingshi and flung his arms around Lan Zhan in a very Wei Yingesque display. "Jin Ling, when did you arrive?" asked Lan Zhan mildly, patting the teen's head.

The other two voices calling "Father" were of course Lan ShiZui and Lan JingYi, who entered in a more dignified manner and bowed to the correct depth meant for a revered parent, and promptly destroyed that stately scene by also flinging themselves at Lan Zhan! Luckily, Lan Zhan had firmed up his stance after Jin Ling's onslaught, otherwise their sons' exuberance usually resulted in the parent, mostly Wei Ying, and the three teens, tumbling to the ground in one undignified, giggling, happy heap!

It was dusk and Lan Zhan had just returned from a full day at the Sect Offices. Wei Ying was out another night hunt. Lan Zhan's heart throbbed with the ache of separation and his dimmed eyes were not missed by the trio.

After chatting for a long time catching up with Jin Ling about his activities at Koi Tower and a recent visit to Lotus Pier, Lan Zhan finally said, "It is Haishi*, time for bed everyone!" There was a flurry of groans and protests. With long faces, the boys flung down bedding and prepared for sleep. Lan Zhan snapped his fingers and all the lamps in the Jingshi snuffed out.

After about half an hour of tossing and turning in the dark, someone sat up, clicked their fingers to light a lamp.
"Jingyi! What happened?"

"Can't sleep!"

"ShiZui, I wish Baba was here!" Jin Ling sounded morose.

"Boys, what's the matter?" asked Lan Zhan, seeing all of them sit up.

"Father, we all miss Baba!" ShiZui gathered his courage and spoke on behalf of the trio. What no one was prepared for was the sudden misting of Lan Zhan's eyes! As he turned away, he gruffly said, "Me too!"

Jingyi ran to Lan Zhan and said, "Father, come sit with us! The triangle on the bedding opened up into a square and Lan Zhan found three young pairs of eyes looking at him. Jin Ling said, "If Baba were here he'd tell us stories to chase the sadness away."

Settling down on the rugs, Lan Zhan began to see where this was going. The boys huddled around and ShiZui snapped his fingers at the fireplace. A small fire leapt up, much to everyone's astonishment. Lan Zhan looked at ShiZui and raised an eyebrow.

"I have been practicing" began ShiZui,

"With Baba!" finished Lan Zhan, with a real, full smile. "Your Baba feels strongly about carrying on your Wen heritage," Lan Zhan observed. ShiZui's smile was one of satisfaction and achievement.