"Who are you?"

friendly reminder that this story is by nbivagant on Tumblr and bitchyypotter on wattpad❤️

∞ ϟ 9¾ ♔ ⚯͛ △r⃒⃘ ➵ ♆

The Sun Sunk as she bade in the moonlight. The forenoon breeze now slowly turned into twilight, as the wind uttered soft whispers through her hair and cheeks. She stood at the castle's topmost tower, staring up at the galaxy that lay above her. She smiles at the constellations - she smiles at the people behind them, the gods, the myths.

Then she hears footsteps approaching from behind her on the stairs, and she turns around to see a boy, perhaps no older than sixteen, with unkempt hair, astonishingly green eyes, and glasses sitting at the brim of his nose.

She cocks her head to the side, her lips parting slightly to create a perfectly shaped space between them as her hands fell to her sides, the midnight breeze caressing over her fingertips.

The boy stares at her. She thought, perhaps, he didn't think anyone was to be here at such a time.

She speaks, voice soft, yet it echoed around the night, "Who are you?"

"I could ask you the same question," he answers, fixing his posture slightly, hands lay awkwardly at his sides.

The side of her lips twitched upwards, ever so slightly at his response, "Well, mystery boy," she says, a smirk was painted across her face, "What are you doing here at this ungodly hour?"

"I could-"

"You could ask me the same thing?" she finishes for him, "I presume those aren't the only words you know?"

The boy relaxes slightly, walking up closer to her, "Well, what else was I supposed to say - mystery girl?" he teases.

"The answer to my question - both of them, preferably," she says rather bluntly.

The boy, taken aback by her sudden bluntness, stays still for a while as she scanned her face, noticing no trace of sarcasm, or playfulness. Just honesty. He then speaks again.

"Well, where's the fun in that?"

She arches an eyebrow in confusion, "I don't think there is any 'fun' in knowing, or not knowing your name."

The boy chuckles airily, "I meant - why don't we not tell each other our names. We'll figure it out ourselves."

The girl grinned smugly, "You really think I won't be able to find out who your name is?"

"And what makes you so sure I won't figure out yours?" he challenges.

The girl sucks her teeth before speaking, "Tell me. Have you ever seen me? I tend to keep my head down. Good luck trying to find me during the day."

The boy snorts, "What are you? An owl?"

"Well, of course not - I'm obviously human,"

"Merlins sake, that's not what I-"

"That's not what you meant. I know - just thought irritating you would do me a little bit of fun." she smiles, a slight glint of mischievousness was seen amidst the picturesque shades that lied deep within her eyes.

The boy purses his lips, trying to bite back a laugh, walking towards the railing of the tower, looking up to the skies above him.

The girl turns around once more to face him, eyes looking at him with curiosity.

The boy flickers his gaze from the sky then to her, eyebrows pinched together.

"What's your favourite constellation?" she blurts out.

"I - er - don't really know any." he says honestly.

The girl smiles widely, eyes filled with excitement she rushes over next to him, pointing out her favourite constellation. "That's mine," she tells him, "Lyra - its shape represents a Lyre. It associates with the myth of Orpheus,"

"Why is it your favourite?" he inquiries.

"Oh, no," she says dismissively, "I'd rather not bore you with the story-"

"You won't bore me," he says almost instantly, "I know you never will - you're, intriguing. A mystery I need to solve."

She sent a small grin towards him, "Ah, Spoken like a true poet."

He barks out a laugh, "Don't flatter me," he's breathless in laughter, "I tried writing a love letter to this girl in my fourth year - Guess I don't have my fathers charm."

She chortles at his comment, before facing him fully and telling him the stories of Orpheus and his beloved Eurydice - how Orpheus had travelled to the underworld, to retrieve her, charming Hades and Persephone with his voice that was said to make the trees weep. And how Hades told him he could have her back, with the exception that he did not look back the way out of the underworld, for Eurydice was supposedly following him. But, however in the end, he looked back unable to resist.

As she finished, the boy looked interested. She then told herself that she liked his eagerness to know more.

"I should go now," she announces.

"I'll see you here tomorrow perhaps?"

"Yeah, see you tomorrow, mystery boy,"

∞ ϟ 9¾ ♔ ⚯͛ △r⃒⃘ ➵ ♆

friendly reminder that this story is by nbivagant on Tumblr and bitchyypotter on wattpad ❤️