Chapter Six

The next day, all of the residents of the Abby Lee Foster Home were called group by group into the canteen for 'breakfast'. If you could call it that. Chloe was in the green group and I was in the red group. Our most important meal was a fraction of a slice of stale bread, unlike my old breakfast of a whole slice of stale bread. I should've appreciated it more. After all of that, Chloe and I have to separate yet again to do chores and work around the building. I am forced to wash all of the bed sheets by hand by myself and when I am finished, I have to do the dishes. I begin thinking of Mackenzie. I wonder what she is doing right now. I wonder if she's ok. I hope she told the foster home owner about her medical needs. I am snapped out of my daze when the tap water scorches my skin, leaving a red burn. "Ow!" I gasp. Before continuing the work, I suck my burn, relieving the pain. It is one o'clock by the time I am finished with my work for the day. I head back downstairs with many other children that have done theirs too and sit down on my bed. As usual, my stomach rumbles in starvation and pain shoots through my body like electricity. I wasn't only hungry. I was thirsty. I hadn't had a drink since this morning; a glass of chunky milk. I am bored too. I didn't fetch my book before leaving and I don't have any paper of pencils to draw the images that were slide showing in my mind. Of Mackenzie. Of my mom. I remember back to the other night; "Good job, Madison! If you continue to do your best, you might get another penny to go to the bakery!". I toss over to my side and bless myself before whispering out my thoughts into the open. "Mom, I miss you. I miss Mackenzie. Thank you for all you have done for us. I didn't realise how hard your job was until I was handed it. I promise I'll take care of our baby. I am doing my best, mom." Right there and then, my new friend Chloe comes stepping down the creaky stairs, a massive grin on her face. "Madison, I've got something for you!" Chloe whisper yells. I jerk my head up and turn over onto my back. "What is it?" I grin. "Well, I was putting the dishes away and I opened up the wrong cupboard. Inside was a packet of bread, some butter and cheese. I thought 'well why not?' and made myself a delicious and huge sandwich! I made one for you too!" she whispers into my ear quietly. Chloe reveals a large, fluffy, white sandwich from inside her purple jacket's pocket that makes me drool. "Thanks you so so much!" I beam. "This is going to be so yummy!" I take the sandwich from Chloe gratefully and scoff down ever little crumb, making sure that none of the other residents were watching. I feel sorry for them on a way. It's not fair that I get extra food and they don't. Especially food that is still fresh, but I'm not going to deny it! "Madison, I have a sketchbook in my backpack and I have some pens. Since we're both finished our work, would you like to plan out our escape?" "Oh my gosh! Yes, definetly, I didn't know you had stationary! This will make things so much easier!" I gasp again. "Ok, well let's start." A large, pink PukaPad is pulled out from the backpack, along with two pens. "Now," I take a deep breath. "Nobody is ever on watch after lights out, so we might have an easy way out. We just can't make any noise. What if we stay awake and get up quietly at nine thirty, forty five minutes after lights out? Then we could sneak down to the pantry and make some sandwiches to bring in your bag for the journey and when we meet my sister." "That sounds good! Then we could snatch the keys for the doors from Abby's room, which will be hard, but we can try! We'll be free then! Do you remember how you got here from your house?" "Yes, it was straight the whole way up." I feel so scared for Mackenzie, she's sneaking out alone! Mackenzie is brave, but she is only eight years of age! All Chloe and I can do is hope that she will be a big girl and find a way out. "Ok, Madison, will you write down our plan while I use the ladies room please?". "Um...I can't..." I can feel tears flooding my eyes faster and faster. "Why can't you write it down, Madison?" Chloe questions politely and gently. "I am dyslexic!" I bark. I leap up and race up the stairs and out to the 'garden' of the foster home. By now I have fat tears dripping down my face. I know Chloe couldn't have known, but I'm just jealous that she has the full ability to read, write and spell and she is my age, and I don't. I place myself on an old swing set and stare up at the sky. The day is still young, but mine has already been log enough.