Chapter Eight

By now, it is already midnight. Chloe and I trudge through the empty roads in the dark of night in silence until she breaks it. "Madison," she said. "What is our plan for when we meet Mackenzie?" I hadn't thought much about our future with her. "Um, we'll just try to make some money I guess and see if we can send her to school. I wouldn't say we'd be able to go too, though, sorry." I explain. "That sounds good. I guess we'll have to get some jobs then because nobody will give anything to beggars." I nod my head slowly in agreement and continue through the night. The ink black sky taunts us as we turn each corner and cross each road. As I am incredibly bored, I start counting all of the roads that we walk across. After three hours of nothing but walking in the direction I think Mackenzie's foster home is, it comes to a total one hundred and sixty-nine. Then I stop. "Let's turn this corner," I instruct. "My sister's foster home is that way and from there we can get back to our house." My beautiful friend trails behind me, slowing down with every couple of steps. When I question what is wrong, Chloe reveals that she has asthma. "Do you have an inhaler?" I gasp. "Yes, it is in my bag. Just let me get it...aha, here it is." Chloe slams her finger down on the button of the plastic inhaler which is partly in her mouth. After a few seconds, she let's her breath go and gestures us to keep walking. It is going to be a struggle for Chloe since she has asthma. We still had hours of journey ahead of us! Another thirty minutes passed before I told Chloe that we should take a seat in front of that old oak tree and have a rest. "I hope my sister is ok. She's so young and shouldn't have to go through this," I worry as I plop down onto the freshly cut grass. I whip out one of the big sandwiches we had packed and rip it in half, one part for me and one for the gorgeous blonde sitting opposite me. "Let's save the rest for Mackenzie." Chloe takes the half sandwich and tells me this. My eyelids start to be pulled down due to lack of sleep. The thoughts of my mother bounced around my mind. She would always- and I mean always- fall asleep during the show if she took Mackenzie and I to see a ballet. 'The classical music put me on a trace and my eyes were like weights, I couldn't stay awake!' She used to say. When she was around. I wish she was around... I miss her... Chloe has laid down onto the grass now and is staring up at the night sky that is dotted with sparkling stars, each one shining and shimmering at a different time and tempo. While Chloe is in her own little world gazing upwards, I bless myself and begin speaking to my mom, obviously not getting a reply. "Mom, I know you're in heaven now, you're with your parents. I've made a new friend, her name is Chloe and she's going to come with me while I'm raising Mackenzie. You said to me in my last reading lesson that if I continue to do my best, I might get a penny for the bakery. I know that was for reading, but I am trying my best. Where's my penny?" I chant. "Come on, Chloe. We have to get going." The girl snaps out of her daze and scrambles to her feet. Hours upon hours upon hours just barely scrape past in time while the two of us walk. Have I mentioned that my feet have blisters and cuts from my bad quality shoes and the long journey taken? "Madison, would you like to play Eye Spy?" I am asked. "Sure! That sounds like fun," I answer. "Eye spy with my little eye, something green." Chloe rubs her chin and asks if it was the grass which is correct. The next hour is filled with simple games of Eye Spy until we finally come across Mackenzie's foster home.