Chapter two: warning before death

Chapter two

Warning before death

The warning came over the news, the horror unleashing itself.

"This is not a drill. Please exit the building and go to the trucks parked outside. Please get to the trucks parked outside. This is not a drill." A loud voice burst out from the intercom. Patients were being pushed in their beds towards the doors and elevators, trying to get them quickly and safely out of the hospital. Men in gas masks, black protective clothing and holding long black guns with flashlights on the tips rushed past her, running into different rooms, checking them, then running out again as if searching for something that could harm us. That's when she saw it. A half eaten corpse dragging itself across the floor. Before Willow could question the running men and women about the human with the torn skin and no legs dragging itself over, doctor's began to bustle around her, grabbing her, trying to get her to safety. The snarls and hisses echoed from the main floor.

"What is that? Is it true? Who are they? Help me! What is going on?" Men and women asked, holding their children or the wounded. Screams reverberated around the halls.

"Willow, get down to the cars!" Mrs. Noleman said, gripping Willow's arm as she ran to Rick's room.

"But, Rick! Get him out of there!" Willow gasped, struggling to get free from Mrs. Noleman's grasp.

"No Willow, the doctor's are trying to get him out of there right now. You just need to get to the trucks now. Don't look back, don't stop running." She said. Willow stared at her with fear glinting in her pale, blue, glowing eyes, "Run! NOW!" Mrs. Noleman screamed at Willow, waking her from shock. Mrs. Noleman pushed her down the hallway and Willow ran. She ran faster than she had ever ran. Her backpack filled with her belongings thumped on her back as she ran down the stairs. That's when they began to walk towards her, reaching out, snarling in hunger. Zombies? Willow thought. Those were her worst nightmare, after watching too many horror movies on zombies. The torn skin? The rotting teeth that were covered in dirt and infection? The hunger in their wild eyes? Definitely zombies.

Willow was at the bottom of the stairs, pushed into a corner. One reached forward and brushed its hand on her arm.

"Willow!" Helen screamed. The zombies were surrounding Willow on one side, closing in on her. Quickly, she ran into the cleared pathway, dodging hands and heads as they tried to bite and scratch her. Helen grabbed her arm shouting, "Lets go! Come on, hurry!"

"Mom, i'm scared! What's going on? Why are there zombies here?" Willow yelled over the zombies crawling over. Helen grabbed a metal bar laying on the ground and stabbed it into an approaching zombie's head. Willow pulled back, staring in horror at the sight of her mother killing these bloody monsters. Suddenly, a gunshot rang out and Willow screamed, hitting the floor in fear of being shot, her knees hurting as she covered her ears. As Helen yanked her up, Willow glanced over her shoulder to see the massive sea of zombies start to devour Christopher West.

Helen covered Willow's eyes, pulling her outside, not wanting her to see the horror of flesh eating dead people eating her best friend.

"Christopher! Mother, we need to help him!" Willow cried but Helen tugged her toward a group of military men.

"Sweetie, its hopeless. He's gone." Helen said and one of the men grabbed her by the waist, trying to pick her up to bring her swiftly to the truck.

"No! I'm not leaving without him!" Willow kicked the man, fighting. Helen grabbed her head, moving it towards her face as she knelt down to meet Willow's gaze.

"Willow, I loved him too, but its not possible to get him back. Now, go with them, i'll be right behind you. I love you Willow." Helen said, tears sliding down her face. Willow broke down crying as she was picked up and rushed to an ambulance. Her mother was right behind her, then she wasn't. Willow stared in horror as her mother tripped, falling face first into the hard ground. She looked up at Willow with a slight smile than was, like Christopher, devoured by zombies.