the transformation of Freddie chapter 2

A sudden rush of fear surged through my body at the sound of Erin's voice, and once again I found myself frozen to the floor. Jenee must of felt like she was dragging a dead person as she pulled me down the stairs.

During our short journey to the kitchen, I noticed an abundance of family photos on the walls. Not one of them had a boy in them, every photo either had Jenee and maddie together, Erin and Jenee, Erin and maddie. There wasn't anyone who looked like they could be Jenee's father, which made me feel double as much horrified as I already was.

I joked to myself that one day I might find myself in one of those pictures, and not dressed as a boy. I'd have to be stuck in this house for years if that were to happen.

At the bottom of the stairs we turned into the corridor, Jenee marched me straight into the kitchen where her mother was setting the table. Jenee's advice kicked in immediately as I asked, or rather spat out, my first question.

"What are we having for dinner?"

"Roast beef and potatoes, jaiden, I hope you like it." She replied.

I was still getting used to my new name, every time Jenee used it I felt my skin crawl.
But this time I had to force a smile so Erin didn't get suspicious.

"jaiden loves roast beef, we were talking about our favourite foods earlier." Jenee added before I could reply, but she was still right, roast beef was one of my favourite meals. Jenee gave me a sly wink when she realised what I was thinking about.
"Okay, well take a seat and wait just a minute!" Erin said excitedly, she was really enjoying herself tonight.

She turned away to begin dishing out our dinners evenly whilst I sat down at the closest chair with a knife and fork in front of it. Jenee remained standing for a few seconds, inspecting me.

"Smooth that dress before you sit down!" she said in her angry whisper, whilst pointing at the dress that I'd never imagined wearing at any point in my life.

"But she's not looking, it doesn't matter if I don't smooth it!" I whispered angrily back at her, and I was right! Erin wouldn't need to see me being all ladylike, she'd just assume that a girl would of done it anyway. Besides, jaiden would of disappeared by tomorrow morning.

"Just do it, trust me, she'll know if you don't!" Jenee gave me a menacing glare to try and convince me to do as she bid.

"I do it all the time and she always notices!" she added.

I hastily stood back up and watched Jenee as she began descended into her chair opposite me, running her hands down the back of her legs just before she touched the chair.

I nodded and did the same, smoothing the dress before I sat down, at which point Suzanne turned around carrying two plates of roast beef and potatoes. She noticed me and had an impressed look on her face.

"Very ladylike manners you have, Jaiden ." She smirked at me and then turned to her daughter.

"I'm glad you two met, you could learn a lot from her, Jenee." She gave Jenee a pat on the shoulder before turning away to get her own plate.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I whispered across the table to Jenee, she gave me an evil stare and told me to shush, then returned to a happy smirk just as her mother set her plate down and sat down between us.
Erin placed her hand on top of mine and grinned at me, it was almost like she was examining me closely. Crap, did she know I wasn't who she thought? My nerves were getting the better of me, and I nearly spewed out the truth onto the table. But it was Erin who spoke first.

"I'm always trying to make Jenee a bit more ladylike, you know, honestly I don't think she's ever smoothed her dress before." She looked across at Jenee, giving me time to take a quick breath, I was safe, she looked me right in the eye and didn't recognise me!