Chapter 1

I was finally unpacked and my muscles were so sore. I had spent the better part of the morning moving all my earthly possessions into my dorm room and unpacking everything. Even though I had donated half my wardrobe and books prior to moving states away for college, I still felt that I had entirely too much stuff.

My posters adorned the walls-- or at least half of them. Everything from Green Day and the Ramones to Blink 182 and a few movie posters were essentially wall paper for the whole wall my bed rested against-- or at least the one I claimed. My bedding was mismatched and cozy with too many pillows, and I was glad for the fan circulating the air as I laid stretched out on the bed. Wearing a hoodie was necessary but still uncomfortable in the summer months.

I pulled the roommate assignment sheet from my pocket and unfolded it, checking the name again.

"Pat Stump, huh? I hope she's nice...." I muttered to myself, feeling a bit nervous about living with a stranger. I was a pretty introverted person and had very few close friends, and the idea of sharing a space with someone I didn't know was nauseating.

As if on cue, the door was kicked open from the crack I had left, and legs covered by boxes came in with a huff.

"Let me help!" I offered and jumped up, taking the top box and revealing a cute and chubby face.

"Thanks, that was getting heavy," said the boy carrying the boxes, leaving me a bit confused. Must be Pat's brother, I thought.

"No problem. I was moving all this morning, it only gets worse," I quipped, and his brow raised.

"So are you Devon's sister?" he asked, and I shook my head, trying to keep from connecting the dots. I shook my head, knowing I was grimacing.

"Nope, I'm Devon. Room 214 Prone Hall," I said, naming our room. Pat, or should I say Patrick's, eyes widened as the realization hit him. He paled, then flushed, and looked distinctly uncomfortable. 

"Um, do you think they know they put a boy and girl together?" he asked, voice squeaking a bit with nerves. I shrugged, putting down the box on Patrick's bed and gave him a timid smile, trying to not freak out. It was clear he wasn't exactly happy about the situation either. He followed my lead and sighed, taking a seat at his desk.

"We could try to find the RA, sort this out," I offered, and Patrick nodded before following me out into the hall. There were tons of students in and out of rooms, but it seemed they were all paired with the same gender. Feeling like the odd one out was never good, and I tried to ignore the anxiety creeping up on me as I searched for the RA's room. 

There was a note on his door explaining that he was out helping people move in, and a number to reach him in an emergancy situation. I quickly called it, but it didn't go through, making me sigh. We went back to the room to try to figure something else out. It was an awkward moment of silence.

"So, in case we are stuck together, we should probably discuss roommate rules and such," I brought up, making Patrick jump with a startle and he turned red. I smiled at him, finding his nerves a little endearing. At least he was as shy as I was, which helped calmed me down. I just liked not being alone. 

"Alright, I guess... Well, I play music a lot, but I can put on headphones so you don't have to listen to anything more than plucked strings," he offered, and I smiled again. 

"In case you can't tell, I love music. That's not a bother, unless I'm studying. But I can always put on my own headphones," I told him. He smiled at me, sweet and shy, and I liked it. "I've been trying to learn guitar a bit myself. It's taking a while, so I might annoy you with that."

His grin brightened.

"I doubt it. I'm a pretty laid back person. As long as the room doesn't stink and I get some study time in, I don't think I have real rules. Oh, uh, if you need alone time with someone, just leave a sock on the door..." he said, turning a brilliant red and making a weird face. I scrunched my nose and scoffed. The idea of bringing anyone back to my room was just weird.