let go

Tom lounged carelessly on his bed, reading a book. You were sitting at his desk working on a few things and smoking a cigarette out the window.

"Sweetheart, those things are going to kill you," He said never looking up from his book.

You looked over at him, his face was untroubled. "That is the whole point, Tom."

He looked over at you, a hint of something on his face. You couldn't tell exactly what it was. You decided to change the subject.

"What are you reading?" You said just wanting to make the room less tense. 

He snapped his book shut and set it beside him. "Nothing important," He said quickly.

"Hmm, nothing important huh?" You said narrowing your eyes.

He just nodded his head. You got up from your chair and crawled over to him on the bed. He watched you with a closed expression, never any emotion in his eyes. You got to him and straddled his lap. You lowered your head to his ear, being taller from your position.

"Nothing important?" You whispered in his ear, you sat up straight again and reached for the book.

His hand darted towards your arm stopping it from touching the book. His eyes were on your arm and when he realized it was now very obvious he was lying he locked eyes with you. 

"That's what I thought," you mumbled, he threw your wrist from his grip.

"Get out," he snarled.

You looked at him confused, it was nothing but a joke to you, why was he getting so angry about this? 

You slouched on his lap, "Tom I'm just joking. Why are you getting so upset?" You said with a chuckle.

Tom grabbed your waist as he stood. He set you on your feet on the stone floor.

"I'm not messing around right now. I want you gone," Tom said as he went to the desk and gathered your things. You ran over and grabbed his hands stopping his movements.

"Tom, stop don't be so daft. I won't touch your damn book, Ok?" 

He tore his hands from yours and pushed you up against the wall by your shoulders. "I don't care about the bloody book, It's about you, do you not get it? I set my boundaries and you crossed them. All you ever do is take things to the extremes, I'm sick of it darling," He whispered to you, inches from your face.

"Get off me!" You pushed his chest and he stumbled back. "Why do you always do this to me? You make me feel crazy like I'm the bad guy for just wanting to know what you are reading! Have you ever once asked what I've been writing about or how quidditch practice has been?" You screamed in his face.

He glared down at you in contempt, "Have you ever maybe thought that I don't give a damn about what you're up to. The world never revolved around you and it never will. No one in this god-forsaken world owes you a damn thing!"

You looked at him with tears in your eyes, "Screw you"

"Is that all you got for me, sweetheart? Screw you? Very mature," he said laughing.

You just stared at him in disbelief. You have never seen Tom be this nasty. Cold and distant? Yeah. But this was a whole new person. You walked back over and grabbed your books.

"Oh, so now you want to leave? Now that I've hurt your feelings? Boo who." He said from over your shoulder.

You turned around and sneered in his face, "You're going to regret this Riddle."

You went to waked away and he grabbed your shoulder. "Make a threat like that again and I will kill you," He whispered. 

"Not if I don't beat you to it, Darling," You said with a smile. 

He let go of your shoulder, you turned and opened the door. You took one last look at his back and left. You knew exactly how tonight was ending and you knew he wasn't going to be the one to kill you.