Chapter 26: Surprise

"END OF THE LINE FOLKS! PLEASE GET OFF THE TRAIN!" The man shouted, making me wake up. My head hit the head rest and I groaned. They really need to upgrade these chairs. Memphis woke up like an angle. She stretched her arms an legs and stood up. "C'mon you, let's get off this piece of crap." I laughed slightly and stood up, grabbing my bag and walking slowly off the train with Memphis beside me. I could smell the country air coming to my senses and sighed loudly. "This is awesome!" Memphis threw her hands up in the air and jumped around like a five year old. I chuckled and shook my head. "You are such a kid."

"Yes, yes I am." She poked her tongue at me as she hurried along out of the train station. To be honest, it's better than the one back home. I shook my head, not home anymore Tommie, its hell. I smiled at myself and followed the skipping around, throwing her hands everywhere Memphis. Is she high? I don't know but I like how she is now; all happy and jumpy.

As we left the train station, I started to think about what we should do. I feel like I'm taking action way too soon though. I shook my head and let it be empty as I watched Memphis skipping down the street before me. There were some women and men that greeted with a bright 'hello' and a 'how are ya?'. I'm starting to like this place already. "Memphis!" I shouted, "Slow down!" I jogged up to her side and she stopped. I looked at her and sighed. "You hungry? Thirsty?" I asked her with a faint smile and she just shrugged and looked around us. "I like this place a lot Tommie. I really do. The people just say hello straight away without hesitation. Back there," Memphis pointed back where we came from, "it's nothing like that."

I nodded, agreeing to what Memphis had said. "I agree, I really do." I looked into her eyes and they glinted with happiness and she grabbed my hand. "Let's explore Tommie!" She shouted. Of course I agreed to the beautiful angle and we went around this whole place, exploring it from top to bottom. We passed kids playing cricket, someone got a golden duck and they were celebrating as for the kid with the bat, he shook his head and walked over to them and handed the bat to the baller.

I chuckled as Memphis and I walked down streets, down through alleyways and paddocks. It was amazing here, so much fun and laughter. You could get lost here and never be afraid because, it felt safe. I held onto Memphis's hand and sighed happily. I felt even safer with her because; she meant everything to me. I knew she'd be here to protect him from the bad memoires and dreams that would make your skin crawl and stomach fizz like acids in it.

We got to a small milk bar and we bought our lunch. I got a spring roll. It was cooked perfectly and as you took a bite, it made a beautiful crunch sound. As for Memphis, she had a meat pie with tomato sauce. That also made a beautiful crunch sound. We ate in silence. I caught Memphis looking at me a couple of times and when I did, I sent her a smile. It made her blush a bright red and look down at her pie and continued eating it. She was so adorable when she did that. It made my heart sing with joy and love. I do love Memphis. I'd risk my life for her any day, any hour, any minute, and any second.

We finished eating our lunch and I looked around the small little town we were in. "We'll live happier here then there." I sighed happily. Memphis nodded and looked up at me. "I'm glad I came with you Tommie. I don't know what I would be going through if I hadn't come." Memphis fingered a hold in the wood in the table. I watched her and nodded. "Good thing you did come then?" Memphis nodded and kept fingering the hole as if she were bored. But something in her eyes told me she wanted to go back home.

I heard the milk bar door open and then close. I didn't look up to see but, when I did, I saw someone so familiar and it made my heart beat increase. "I told them I was getting milk today! No Mary it ain't gonna work if we don't have the milk!" I heard the familiar voice say worriedly. "Yes, yes I know." Memphis looked at me then to the woman standing in front of us with a black handbag, blue muddy jeans and a worn out white t-shirt that also had mud on it. The woman had straight, light brown hair and hazel eyes, just a little brighter than Memphis's. The woman seemed to not have noticed me but I know her for sure. And I bet she knows me, that's of she remembers.