Chapter 3: Trust Me

Vicky, the underground tech merchant, waited in an alleyway. He held a duffel bag tightly against his body.
“Hey there, Vicky.” Tamami’s silky voice broke the silence. “You have what I asked for?” She emerged from the shadows and greeted the older man with a smirk. The list she had given him asked for the latest tech he could get his hands on for the purpose of giving Aizawa a disguise.

“Y-yes.” He acted as he was going to hand over the duffel bag but hesitated. “You know, there were rumors you were caught by the police.”

Tamami raised an eyebrow “Really? That’s the stupidest rumor I’ve ever heard. How would I be here if that were true?”

Vicky scratched the back of his head and looked around nervously “W-who was that guy you were with? You usually work alone.”

“Are you serious right now? Just give me the bag, Vick.” She tried to reach out but stopped on her tracks as soon as a few familiar scents grew stronger. Three shadows loomed at the beginning of the alleyway.

“Well, well, if it isn’t the infamous Night Claw.” a deep voice croaked. She hissed as she saw the individuals in front of her. Goons from the subordinate branches of the Mori clan. The clan she worked for.

“What do you want, Kaeru?” She referred to the toad looking man that addressed her.

“The boss sent us to retrieve you. You remember my friends, Yamarashi and Mushi, right?" Kaeru pointed at his other anthropomorphic pals, a porcupine and a bug. "We were able to find you thanks to our friend here.” He pointed towards Vicky.

She snapped at him in disbelief, “Vicky!”

“I’m sorry, Claw!” He tried running but she reached out to the duffel bag and snatched it off his clutches, swung it over her shoulder as she started making a run for it. “Hey! Stop her!”

She jumped over a dumpster and made her way towards a fire escape ladder but a sudden tug on her leg stopped her. Kaeru, the toad, had latched on to her with his long tongue. He gripped tightly and pulled harshly towards him. She hung on with one hand and twisted around to slice his tongue open with her sharp claws. He groaned and retracted his tongue back. Tamami leaped up the stairs and proceeded to dash through the rooftop. Yamarashi, with a back full of sharp quills resembling a porcupine, attempted to obstruct her escape. He ran towards her and proceeded to eject his spines like projectiles. She twirled and jumped to evade each one and found herself leaping down the other end of the building. She rolled onto the ground and continued to run without a second to breathe. She heard a buzzing above her, the other goon, Mushi, hovered over her. He shot balls of acid from above. Are these crazies trying to bring me in or kill me? - She thought as she evaded the puddles of steaming acid on her path. The bug man flew closer to her and scooped her off the ground. He quickly zoomed up above the buildings.

“Agh, let me go, you freak!”

“What the-?!” Mushi exclaimed.

Suddenly the buzzing stopped as his wings ceased movement. He let her go mid air as they both quickly lost altitude. Tamami yelped as she fell from the sky, unable to straighten herself. A few feet before hitting the ground she felt her breath rush out of her as she was suddenly wrapped in bindings. Like a bungee jump rope, she bounced back up towards the sky, the binds releasing her in mid air with the momentum helping her twirl and land on a rooftop.

“I didn’t need your help, you know!” She yelled once she felt her feet grounded.

With his hair flaring upwards with blazing red eyes behind his goggles, Aizawa made his hero entrance and landed in front of Mushi who had just slammed himself on the ground.