SEEING RED : pt II

The next time Ronnie saw Jane, he was leaving a rather strange message on a teenage boy's voicemail. He and Lisbon and Rigsby had just gotten back from visiting the late Rosemary's boyfriend, a philandering hippie photographer named Jeremy. According to Lisbon, aside from the creepy vibe they'd gotten from Jeremy, all they'd found was an art studio in a room that had once been the bedroom of Rosemary's son.

Since returning to the CBI, they'd been able to speak to the daughter, who showed up to the office. Her remorse was evident. Though inconsolable, Clara was able to give some insight on her mother and brother.

That was when Jane made his phone call. "Hello, Travis. You don't know me, but my name is Patrick Jane. I'm a friend. I know you're in a little trouble right now, and I want to offer you some peace of mind. But I don't know what peace of mind means to you. It's different for everyone. For instance, I like riding horses. But would horses make you happy? I don't know. Why wouldn't horses make you happy? Go round and round in your mind until you're sure, and go to that place where you know you are happy. Then give me a call. You have my number." Jane snapped the phone shut and turned on his heel, expression satisfied.

Arms crossed over her chest, Ronnie uttered a derisive scoff. "I've never seen you around a horse even once."

Jane clicked his fingers and pointed at the confused faces of Cho and Rigsby, ignoring Ronnie. "Quick. What images came into your head?"

THE MENTALIST

The smell of hot dogs and funnel cakes made Ronnie hungry and nauseas simultaneously. She stood with Cho and Rigsby, watching Jane stare at a carousel like some kind of predator.

"All I'm saying, you can't say there's no such thing as psychics just 'cause you've never met one." Rigsby was saying.

Cho didn't even look at him, scanning the rowdy, screaming crowd around them. "You're right. I've never seen a zebra. Doesn't mean they don't exist." Always on the alert, Cho stood next to Ronnie like a bodyguard, looking peeved about standing in a carnival.

Rigsby's jaw dropped comically. "You've never seen a zebra?"

"No."

"You've never been to a zoo?"

"You know, I don't get zoos. You pay money to look at animals. Why?"

Ronnie stifled a yawn. "My mom killed a guy in a zoo once. Dumped him off the gondola."

Rigsby's jaw fell open even wider somehow. Neither man could tell if she was joking or not, and neither desired to ask.

Ronnie shivered in the evening chill.

At that moment, Cho caught sight of Clara's brother and signalled to Jane. "I'll never doubt you again."