Chapter Nine: Clues

Amo

5: 45 AM

The first thing I noticed when I entered Bellona's room was the smell. Something strong and prickly was wafting through the air and I followed the scent. Nora Maeve was right. The room was clean. Cleaner than when I had come in here last. But I did spot some things wrong.

The bed was as neat as a marine's and a few books were missing off the shelf. When I reached the end of where the scent was the strongest, I was facing the bathroom door. I opened it slowly, then brought the sleeve of my shirt over my nose to help block the scent. It did nothing. It smelled of something really strong and really familiar. Then it clicked.

Bleach.

Fuck.

I scoured the bathroom, looking for a hint, anything to show blood. Whoever had taken Bellona had done a bloody good job cleaning. Too good. There was nothing. I opened and closed drawers, and pulled back the shower curtains. Nothing. At least the washroom would show some signs of a resident living, but it was too pristine and proper. I went back to her room and searched everywhere. There was fucking nothing to find.

Frustrated, I kicked the wall opposite Bellona's bed.

Then I heard it.

If I had kicked the wall again or cursed or even done anything to cause the smallest amount of noise after the kick, then I wouldn't have been able to hear it. But I did. A small sound of a tiny piece of plastic hitting the floor. I turned and my eyes went straight to a yellow rectangle laying on the dark wood floor. I walked over and crouched, picking it up.

It was a SIM card.

"Huh," I said to myself.

I turned it over in my hand then placed it in my pocket as I stood. I stood there for a long moment, thinking. Then I immediately went to the bathroom again. I pulled the drawer back and searched the area.

No toothbrush.

I pushed both of my hands through my hair before I went to her closet. There were clothes sitting, making the shelves seem full, but when I pushed them back, all of the shelves came back empty.

I stepped away and fell onto the bed, hands gripping my hair.

There was no sound, no sign of struggle, no blood. Because Bellona wasn't kidnapped.

She had run away.

A small laugh broke out. Then another, until I was laughing hysterically like a mad man, back against the mattress of her bed. I wiped at my moist eyes. "Oh, Bellona." I was grinning now and I didn't know if it was because of the anger or amusement. I think it was a sick combination of both. I sat up straight and sighed heavily, shaking my head. "Bellona, Bellona, Bellona."

In a matter of a few minutes, I had figured out she had run. That cut so many options it was both relieving and unnerving. I took out my phone and dialled Nex's number. He picked up fast. "Amo, what's the matter?"

I could hear the fading amusement from my voice when I spoke. "Change of plans."

Nex was quiet for a moment. "You good?"

"Oh, I feel fantastic."

More silence. "Are you high?"

"No. But listen," my voice became low and stern. "I know what we're looking for now."

"Okay, then, tell me."

"Bellona."

Silence. "No shit, genius. I thought we were looking for the President."