Prologue

The rain was relentless. It poured and poured. The ditches were almost spilling into the highway, trees blowing and twisting against the wind. It was gray and the rain was so dense, you couldn't see the car in front of you, only the tail lights. The city was opted to close the roads down, but the mayor insisted not to do so considering the number of poor families in his city was rapidly increasing and he knew what was seemingly best for them. There had already been 2 accidents in this endless summer storm.

***

It was a family of three in a silver car. It was a young couple and their two-year-old daughter, Angelica. They were just going out to get some shopping done, when a very tired semi driver had drifted off. They were killed on impact, but the girl was left behind. She was on the brink of death, her flesh burnt and torn and her cries ringing through the storm. She was an orphan. She had no other family, so a kind stranger offered to care for her.

***

Dr. Mathis took the girl to his lab. He stayed up for nights on end to help the precious life form stay alive. The only way to keep her alive was to replace most of her bones, her right arm and her shoulder blades with metal robot parts. After months of work, he replaced her arm and her many broken ribs and the femur in her leg. Then he spent more months formulating the mechanisms for her shoulder blades he planned to attach to the young girl. Every different design he came up with ended up being very boring and simple. It wasn't his style. He thought something was missing. He finally decided to alter his design. He formulated gold plated shoulder blades with lightweight wings attached with turning gears and colored wires. He programmed every robotic part to grow along with everything else so she wouldn't have to keep replacing her bones and wings.

***

Though she couldn't fly with the wings, he sensed she had something special hidden within, for during all her recoveries she was bursting with life and energy unseen before in a small child like herself. Then, there was something he could not place...