Chapter 4

In the South, in a ruined place once called Kentucky, a facility with grandeur and great intimidation stood in the middle of it all. This was the headquarters of The Fence. It was over fifteen floors tall and had a strong and thick wood surrounding it, as well as an electric fence. Outside that were the slums of what was left of the towns and cities.

In a hidden room in the basement of the facility, an unconscious Dr. Elliot Mathis sat at a table, his wrists bound behind the chair. Dr. Robert Tiner sat at the other end and waited patiently as the tranquilizer wore off. He drummed his fingers impatiently on the cold metal. Dr. Mathis was coming to, his head bobbed from side to side and a weak groan escaped from his lips.

"Ah, Elliot Mathis. You've been avoiding me for so long," Robert chuckled. A sly glimmer shined in his eyes.

"Angel..." Elliot muttered.

"Your daughter is just fine. Now, shut up about her and talk to me," Robert hissed.

"What do you want with me, Robert?" Elliot snapped, poison dripped off of his every word.

"You know what I want! I want your engineering know-how to help me build my army!" Robert shouted. He jumped out of his seat, the legs violently scraping the spotless tile floor.

"Your army is a waste and a bother in society! You're putting innocent lives at risk! Just wait, the government will shut you down. I'm surprised they haven't yet!" Elliot cried, trying to break the rope that bound his wrists.

Robert let out a slow breath. He walked over to Elliot. He lifted his arm and struck him across the face.

SMACK!

Robert then grabbed Elliot's lower jaw and put his face just inches away from his own.

"If you ever want to see your precious experiment again, you will help me," Robert growled.

"She's not an experiment, Robert. She's my daughter."

Robert threw Elliot away from him, almost flipping him backward.

"Fine then. If you ever want to see your 'daughter' again, you will help me build my army. Deal?" Robert said. He was becoming very exasperated.

He turned away from Elliot and took his glasses off. He pretended to inspect a smudge on the right lens while he waited for Elliot.

"Why are you doing this, Robert? Revenge?" Elliot asked, his cheek still stinging from the blow.

Robert let out a low, throaty laugh.

"Oh, no. Revenge is not in my agenda. It's power that I crave. Power. The strongest five letter word in the English language. I will be the most powerful and richest man in the US. Maybe even the world! I've always been downcast and called a nobody! This will be my chance to show those people who I am now. And put them in their rightful places. Six feet under or groveling at my feet!" Robert cackled manically.

Elliot was almost ready to give up. Almost.

"I'll leave you to your thoughts, Elliot. You decide. Help me or you'll see your precious Angel and that Reynolds boy suffer," Robert said murderously.

"You wouldn't," Elliot hissed.

"Watch me."

Robert walked out of the room and locked it. He walked back up to his office, twirling his key ring on his index finger. A sinister smile spread across his face.

Elliot stared blankly at the door. He then scanned the room. It was empty and immaculately white except for the sliver table in the center of the room. There were no windows or any other doors except the one Robert exited out of. The rope bit into his wrists as he strained to reach his back pocket. He finally retrieved the utility knife he kept with him at all times. He flipped the blade up and began sawing at the thick rope.

Within five minutes, he was free. He let the knife clatter to the white tile floor. His wrists and arms ached. He stood uneasily from the chair.

"Angel, please hurry," Elliot whispered.