Chapter 8

Angel's world was dark and silent. She was floating. Weightless. She couldn't feel anything. She was surrounded in...water maybe? Hot water.

"Am I dead? Where's Davis?" she kept asking herself.

Her head began to throb and her eyes burning behind her closed lids. Something grasped her waist and began to pull her upward. A blinding light seared her eyes A pain ripped through her lungs. She could breath and feel again. Her throat burned as it felt like she surfaced after being underwater for hours.

"AAAAAHHHH!" she screamed. She was soaking wet and she was laying on the bank of...a lake?

"Angel! Angelica!" a voice screamed in her deleterious face.

Davis was soaked and his hair sticking up in every direction. She was heaving, water spilling from her lips. She coughed violently, causing her lungs and throat to burn.

"Oh my god, Angel," Davis hugged her. He kissed the top of her head and brushed her hair out of her face.

"Jeez I'm okay. Let go of me," Angel mumbled.

Davis held her at arms length. His eyes glistened with tears.

"Felix is g-gone," he stuttered.

"I know," Angel said. She pulled her wet hair off her shoulders. "You save the bags and tool box?"

"Yeah," Davis answered. He handed her bag to Angel. Surprisingly it was dry.

"I threw it out before we crashed," Davis explained. "Same with mine. And the tool box didn't bust, thank God."

Angel pulled a hair tie out I the bag and twisted her hair up.

"Where are we?" Angel asked, wrapping the bandana around her head.

"The Abyss Pool. It's 58 feet deep and it's a hot spring," Davis responded. "The chopper is totaled. It sunk a few minutes later after we crashed. I got out right when we hit. But you were caught in the wreckage."

He stood and looked around. He took the phone out of his bag and looked at the time.

"It's only three in the afternoon," Davis said. "I'm calling Christopher."

Angel nodded as Davis began to dial. He placed it on speaker.

"Hello?" Chris' nasally voice answered.

"It's Davis and Angel. Some wacko mutant names Dustin killed Felix and caused the chopper to crash. We're stuck in Tenton County, Wyoming by The Abyss Pool," Davis spoke into the phone.

"Oh my. That's not good. I'll be there soon. I'm only a few minutes till I'm at Yellowstone. Be there soon," Chris exclaimed. "Talk to you soon."

The line went dead.

Davis sat down on the dry ground beside Angel. Angel laid her head on his shoulder and clutched her knees to her chest. Davis wrapped his arms around her and put his head on hers. They both let out a long, labored sigh.

"We wait?" Davis whispered.

"We wait." Angel answered.

***

A black Sedan pulled up beside Angel and Davis. Christopher got out and grabbed the tool box.

"Lets go! We're half an hour behind schedule and we have to be in Cheyenne in two and a half hours," Chris said hurriedly.

Davis and Angel grabbed their bags and got into the back. They were both very worn out. As soon as they got buckled in and Chris started the engine, they were asleep. Angel's mind drifted away, to the day she and Davis first met.