Chapter 1

My parents always said to never walk alone at night, but when I do it clears my head. You know, it gets rid of all the worry and regret from the day. Like I am right now, walking my normal way back home thinking about how I should've done so many things differently. Which is scary sometimes because if you think about it too much, it gets to your head and makes you not wanna sleep.

I get out of my thoughts and look up from the ground to see where I'm going. It's really quiet tonight which I don't mind. It's less awkward when no one is around, so you don't have to make eye contact when walking past someone.

"HELP! HELP ME, PLEASE! SOMEONE!"

Loud screams came from nowhere. I try following the screams and they lead me to a really dark alley. What should I do? If I go though that scary ass alley, I could be the next person screaming for help. But if I don't go through then whoever that is can be in big trouble... well, I guess fuck it. Maybe I'll get on the news for saving someone from being killed.

I pulled out my phone and tapped the flashlight icon and a light appeared in front of me. I look around and see nothing but some black trash bags and some other random ass things.

Well, at least I tried to help. I turned off the flashlight and was about to walk away until I noticed an 'open' sign glowing bright on the side of the wall. It's weird because I've always walked past this alley to go home. So why haven't I seen it before? I guess I could check it out. I start walking down the terrifying alley until I'm in front of the door with the sign above. I hesitate to open the door, but shake the feeling off and open it anyways. A bell rings. It looks like no one is here. Maybe they're closed and forgot to turn off the sign? I was about to walk out when I heard a door open and a guy with blonde hair walked out from the door behind the counter.

"Welcome to Late Night Cafe! How may I help you?" the guy asks. I walk up to the counter and sit down in front of him.

"This is a coffee shop? I've never seen this place before," I reply.

"I know it doesn't really look like it but we just opened. Plus, we're only open at night, hence the name."

I nod my head and say, "That makes sense now."

He pulls out a small note pad and pen. "So what will it be?" he asks, leaning towards me.

"Just straight black coffee please!" I reply.

"Thank god, that's an easy order to make. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing," he says while walking over to the coffee machine. It makes me laugh because if you don't know what you're doing, then why work at a coffee place? I pull out my phone from my pocket to check it.

One new message from Wooyoung

I must've put my phone on mute. I open the message.

Today at 10:37 p.m.

Wooyoung
Where are you?! I thought you got off work at 10 tonight😭

Wooyoung
Also, can you bring home pizza? I'm hungry!!😔🤚

San
I did get off at 10. I just got caught up in some stuff. I'll be home soon! 🙄

Wooyoung
ok but like are you gonna bring pizza home??!😐

I laugh a little and put my phone down on the counter in front of me. The guy sure takes awhile just to make one plain black coffee. But to be fair he did say he doesn't know what he's doing, he must be new.

"I'm sorry that it took awhile. I spilled the coffee grounds all over the counter back there," the guy says, trying not to spill the hot coffee while walking over to me. He places the cup in front of me.

"Oh, it's totally fine! I'm sure you're new at this right?" I asked.

"Yeah, I just started a couple of minutes ago actually." Well, that explains a lot. I take a sip of my coffee. Why is it so bitter? Does coffee always taste like this? "Would you like some sweets? We have some killer cookies!" the man offers.

"Ah, no thanks," I say as I drink more of this nasty ass coffee.

"Fine! It's  just more for me then!" He walks away from me and heads towards a big display of sweet treats. He opens it and grabs a cookie and starts walking back to me.

"I'm telling ya, the coffee is killer, isn't it?" he says, taking a bite of the cookie in his hand. No, this is the most shit coffee I have ever had. But if I say that, I could hurt his feelings.

I say, "I'm not gonna lie, this is probably one of the best coffees I've had in a while. It's really good." I drink the last of it.

I start to stand up and my vision goes blurry for a second. I try sitting back down but it doesn't help. In fact, it makes it worse. I see the blurry guy walking up to me. He's so close that I see his name tag: Kang Yeosang. "I told you it was killer," was the last thing I heard before everything became black.

*************
I hope you guys liked the first chapter :)