7

after middle school, you are made to apply for high school, just like if you were applying for college in high school. many go for national-level high schools, others go for art or a music school. making the famous ivy school known as high saga school to be one of the best high school to attend at, everyone who graduates always ended up on the top of the power pyramid but not a single one talks about their experancence throughout the four years. the system goes every grade has 250 students, so once the 250 students from year 4 graduate the school accepts 250 more to come in. no one is allowed to leave during the four years if not then.. well it's something to find out. rumor has it there's only three ways to get accepted.

-be filthy rich
or
-randomly selected through the leftover remaining students needed

the people who were born with money have first pick, made to donate just over 1.5mil to the "school" most of the time, all spots are taken before the remaining number is given to those who didn't but if you get lucky at times there will be about ~50 spots left. now who gets the remaining spots? the school doesn't take consideration on what your previous grades have been. out of the thousands applications submitted they take the names of those and put them in bin full of other names sort of something straight out of the hunger games. one by one they  take out the amount needed to fill in.

those people are treated the worst once arrival to the school, despite rankings they will always have more people taking behind their back, more disadvantages, and more betrayals if ranked high.

the chance is low to impossible since no one is allowed to leave unless you will accept the consequences but at times if something is to happen to a student, they will replace them with another person on the waitlist weather if it's donating or random selection, the school will try to find a replacement quickly.

curiosity fell into sora once the mention of the replacing students. she originally applied for freshmen year ongoing. months and months passed indicating such as many, the little chance of being accepted fell down to zero. with that hopelessly with sadness sora attended another school in japan. it wasn't till mid-way through her third year, she had received a unexpected call, her face lightened up with joy as she read the callers name, "high saga school" the last time she called the school was over 2 years ago and forgot she had it saved.

"how did you get accepted?" yuki stopped swinging his legs and looked over at sora whom was spacing out.

"i was randomly called to come in, there's no way im paying $1.5mil" sora jokingly stated. "what about you?"

"my dad donated to the school," he had lowered this voice.
"that's good, don't let anyone find out. i regret it, i regret begging my parents to pay that much for this," he pointed on the bruises visible on his skin.

sora couldn't take what words she would say to him so she said silent looking up at the clouds.

"and that's because im not even that low of a rank,"

"what rank are you?"

"502"

"at least is not 1,000" she paused for a bit before asking again
"mind explaining the whole thing with the ranks?"

1-12 - the ones who are the "role models" of the school treated like royalty and in control of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE.

13-250 - if you keep a rank around these you are the safest out of the 988 and tend to have everything given to you but are at risk to be asked for a game

251-400 - many of the ranks are always changing due to it being a competitive standing for lower ranks, being in these standings is
something a "normal" school life would feel like but also these ranks aren't good for anyone with limited things available

401-700 - this is when you are going to lose the availability to do/go places around the school, example lunchroom, nurse, library. expect to start getting mistreated by other ranks. anyone passing 401 wears a necklace everywhere they go.

under 700 - one word; hell.

now how do you get a higher rank? easier way out; pay the school, harder way; you play card games with each-other. it's literally what it is, both will decide on a game and play-off. if the lower rank wins they automatically switch ranks, but if the higher wins they get a sum of money which ranks from 100k-500k from the other. the faster you can pay it the faster you are free from what the higher can do to you while they wait for the money.

that's fucked up, why? why. the female couldn't believe any of this, was this out of some movie? if she had only declined the offer.

"who are the top 12?"

"starting from rank 12,
* levi ki
*taeuil kang
*sooha seran
*mashiro sakamoto
*yeseo kang
*xiaoting shen
*chaehyun kim
*youngeun seo
*bahiyyih huening
*dayeon kim
*hikaru ezaki

finally we have yujin choi for the first place, she's a new one this year."

"she's new and already is ranked one??"

yuki shook his head no "she's always been 2nd, throughout my time here this is the first time 1st rank has changed"

"what happened to the rank one?"

"right, the reason why you are here, you are replacing her. just a few months ago" yuki lowered his voice and made sure no one was around before whispering into sora's ear

"she was found dead in the bathroom."