Chapter 4

"We are doing something different with a classic breakfast item today..."  Ginger stated as she stood in her studio kitchen with a film crew on the other side of her island counter.  There were holiday decorations in the background and a small, decorated tree stood in the far corner.   "It is something you might consider making for your family and guests during the holidays..." she suggested.  "And here to help me prepare it is musician and activist and aspiring chef Brian May!"  she said with delight as the camera panned back and showed Brian next to her.  

"Hi Ginger..."  Brian responded wearing a bright smile.  He stood quite tall next to her and wore a dark red jumper with a white collared shirt underneath and a pair of black jeans.  It paired nicely with Ginger's own cream-colored jumper and matching trousers.  The shows director had told them they looked good together after doing some test shots.

"Hi Brian..."  Ginger said back.  "Some people may not be aware that you are actually half Scottish!"  she divulged as Brian nodded.

"It's true..."  Brian confirmed.  "My mother is from a village just south of Edinburgh..."  he advised.  

"I bet your Mum did a lot of things with oatmeal in the kitchen..."  Ginger remarked.  Brian smiled at her.

"Yes...she used it in a lot of things...not just making porridge..."  he agreed.  Trying to ignore the bright lights bearing down on them and the film crew about 15 feet away.  It was strange being in a working kitchen that was part of a studio.  

"And you told me about something in particular that she did that I thought we would show our viewers today..."  Ginger stated as she held up a container of uncooked oats.

"Yes..."  Brian replied.  "She used to make fried porridge..."  he answered.  

"And what exactly is that for those who are not familiar with it?"  Ginger questioned.  Brian gestured at the cast iron skillet sitting on the stovetop next to him.  

"My mother would use any leftover porridge and pan fry it in her skillet..."  he explained.  "And you can top it with so many different things..."  he added.  

"It sounds really good...what was her process to make this?"  Ginger requested.  Brian proceeded to explain how she would make extra porridge for the next day's breakfast.  She would place some parchment paper in a square pan and pour the leftover porridge in it.  After leaving it overnight, she would cut strips or squares off and place them in some hot butter or oil in her skillet to fry them up.  Ginger demonstrated at the stove as Brian talked about his mother's technique and when they were considered done.

"Then she would plate them and use whatever fruit, nuts or spread she might have on hand to top them..."  Brian advised.  

"Some of the things we recommend are berries or sliced banana...some nuts...even use that jar of jam in your pantry or some syrup if you want it gooey and sweet..."  Ginger suggested as she gestured at some bowls of sample toppings.

"I like it simple with some mixed berries and a dollop of cream..."  Brian stated as Ginger handed him a plate with two bars of fried oatmeal.  He placed a large spoonful of fresh cream on them both and then sprinkled them with a mix of raspberries and blueberries.  

"I'm opting for a bit of melted butter on mine instead of the cream..."  Ginger commented as she showed her plate to the camera.  "I love fresh butter on just about anything..."  she confessed. 

"It is good..."  Brian agreed as he picked up a fork.  Ginger took hers and they both tasted their finished dish.

"Absolutely delicious!"  Ginger declared as she smiled and finished chewing.  Brian nodded agreement as he swallowed his bite.