Chapter 22 - Journey to Seattle

It was the morning of December 26th and Greg, Susan and Jessie were headed north, starting in Escondido in the southern part of California where Susan’s parents lived, on their way to the city of Seattle, in Washington state where they planned to spend the better part of the  next seven days. Their plan was to be there through New Years, seeing where Matt lived and spending time with both he and Zackary in the Seattle area before heading home again. But that was after spending the past four days with Susan’s family celebrating Christmas.

“What did you think?” Susan asked her husband as they left the neighorhood where Susan’s parents lived behind and entered the freeway on ramp headed north.

“I think your parents are lovely people, Susan. Your brother and his family are too. I enjoyed getting to know them all better, but particularly your father. I’m not certain if he’s decided he likes me, but he does give the impression of having accepted me,” Greg commented.

“I think he has. Mom has too.  It really helped to look through the photo album they’d put together about our journey with them,” Susan said. “I think it made them realize how much you’ve been a part of my life these past few years, and how much you helped me to get here.”

“We helped each other,” Greg reminded her automatically, “However I understand what you are trying to say. Your parents would understandably be biased in being concerned for your welfare.”

“Yes. Every photo we took and every photo they have involved the two of us in some way, from that very first photo I sent them of me from St. Augustine’s … to the last one I sent them just before we moved here from Australia. You took both of those, but I don’t think Mom or Dad really appreciated that until they heard us talking about it,” Susan said.

“Do you really think they’ve accepted us, Susan? As a couple I mean, and our marriage?” Greg asked.

“I think so. They see you openly support my faith; they know you saved my life, have protected me in the past, looked out for me when I had no one else, and continue to do so. They also know I love you, and that you make me happy. Those are the main things my parents are concerned about,” Susan told him.

“They are not disturbed that you married outside your religion?” Greg asked.

“I think they would be if they saw evidence it changed the way I practice my faith or I showed signs of possibly converting. But since in their eyes my commitment to the Christian faith looks even stronger than it was when I disappeared, I don’t really think they see that as a reason for concern,” Susan said.

“That is good to know,” Greg told her. “Because if your assessment is correct, the scope of acceptance of our relationship by our families has just gotten broader.”

“Yes, it has,” Susan agreed. “I’m not sure who’s left we should be thinking about in regards to our challenge … unless Michael’s opinion counts.”

Greg arched his brow. “He has been and is still a part of your family, if only due to the connection you share through your children.”

“True, and I know Ruth’s acceptance was important to you,” Susan said. “So maybe Michael’s acceptance should be important to me.”

“Isn’t it?” Greg questioned as they drove.

Susan shrugged. “I don’t know. When I think about Michael and Rachelle … I don’t know, Greg, I think asking for acceptance from them is asking for a lot. I’m not sure I’ve truly accepted him with her either, so I’m not sure I can reasonably expect him to reciprocate, at least not yet.”

“Haven’t you?” Greg asked with an arched brow. “I thought you had.”

Susan considered the question. “I don’t know,” she repeated for the third time. “I think I have accepted that Michael has remarried, and I’m glad he’s happy … I really am, but I don’t like the way Rachelle treats our children. And that is making it difficult for me to like her. I’m hoping that will change now that we’re home and Zackary doesn’t live with them anymore, but if it doesn’t, this is going to be extremely difficult.”