Chapter 10

"Have you got a minute?" Jace asks. It's four in the afternoon. The kids are playing in the back yard and I'm going through the pantry to find something to make for dinner.

"Yeah, why?" I turn to face him. He runs his fingers through his hair.

"There's something you need to know, and I'm really nervous, okay?"

Frowning, I put down the half empty box of elbow noodles and turn to face him.

"I'm all ears."

"Well, remember how I told you I had sex with someone after I got you pregnant with Max?"

"Yes." I say. "I told you we weren't together. It doesn't matter."

"But it does because you know her."

I frown and turn to him. "Jace, I don't care."

He sighs. "Well I have to tell you anyways, just to get it off of my chest because I don't want there to be any secrets between us, and this is the only one left."

"Okay." I nod, leaning against the island.

"I want you to side down."

"Jace." I sigh.

"Please?" he asks.

I nod, sighing, and walk to the breakfast table and sit down on the booth part.

"Okay." He says.

"Who was it, Jace?"

"It was Aubrey."

Aubrey?

What.

The.

Fuck.

I'm quiet for a very long time, pondering what to say.

"Why?"

"Are you upset?"

I have to think about that for a moment.

Should I be upset?

"No." I decide. "We weren't together and you were going through a lot. I still want you to answer my questions."

I'll answer anything." He says. "I don't know why. We were at a party and I got drunk..." he shrugs.

"Was she drunk?"

"No." he says.

"So she basically took advantage of you." I say carefully.

He shrugs.

"She knew you were hurting." I continue. He shrugs again. I sigh, drumming my fingernails on the table. "Does Travis know?"

"He does." He nods.

"Were they together?"

"No. They weren't even dating yet."

"They have a four year old though."

"They adopted her when she was three." He says.

I nod.

"Are you sure you aren't mad? I swear it mean't nothing. I was so mad after it happened."

"Not at you. You've changed, Jace."

"But you're mad at her."

I shrug, looking away.

"Talk to me." He pleads, looking so vulnerable.

"I just...I don't really like her anymore."

"Why?" he asks.