Chapter 15

Ida's POV-

"We're home!" Clint called through the house as we stepped in.

"Just in time!" Natasha shouted from the next room over. "Steve and I just got dinner made!"

"Yes, I am starving" he removed his coat and hung it up on the hanger.

"Clint" I grabbed his wrist before he could walk away.

Confused, he looked behind his shoulder, his blue eyes gazing into mine..

"What if it did not work?"

"It worked" he relaxed a little bit, smiling softly at me. "I promise. And if it didn't, I will take full responsibility"

"I do not want you to do that" I shrugged. "I just...I wish I had thought everything through better"

"We all make mistakes, Ida" he paused. "Even the best of us. To the world, all of us here are heroes, yet look what I let myself do. And who is to say that I will not repeat mistakes like this again?"

"Do you think everything will be okay?"

"Everything always works out" he replied. "No matter what happens, the world keeps spinning and life goes on. If something doesn't turn out the way that we hoped, it only means that something better is yet to come"

"Thank you" I breathed.

He gave me a nod, then headed toward the stairs.

I assumed that he was probably going to change. I needed to, as well. I ran behind him up the stairs and down the hall. When I opened my bedroom door, Loki was not there. I guessed that he was probably already downstairs with the others.

Quickly, I dug out something nicer and threw it on, then combed through my hair. I gave myself one glance in the mirror before stepping out of the room. Only Clint was right there, as if he had been waiting for me.

"What?" I asked a little confused.

"Here" he handed me a present. "I don't want you to open this in front of everyone tomorrow since God knows what is inside. I would rather you just open it now"

"Okay..." I took it from him.

The wrapping paper was a rusty green color with a Santa Claus print. Securing the package, sparkly red ribbon was tied neatly into a fluffy bow.

A little nervously, I undid the knot and handed the ribbon back to him. Then I carefully began to pull apart the wrapping. On the inside was a plain white box, so there really was no hint to what was to come. I gave him all of the paper scraps, as well, then opened the lid enough that only I could see what inside.

Much to my surprise, it was filled with lingerie. There were so many different colors and styles. All I could see what a hodge podge of lace, leather, and tiny bows.

Blushing, I shut the box.

"Do I want to know what it is?" he asked me.

I shook my head, ducking back into my room and shutting the door. Embarrassed, I took a deep breath, trying to remind myself that Clint had nothing to do with this and that Natasha was the one that had bought it for him to give to me. He did not even know what it was so I could not possibly blame him for it.

On the other hand, I had literally just gotten this situation fixed and I did not want to ruin it all again by Loki finding out that this man had literally just gifted me sexy underwear.

I opened up one of the dresser drawers and dumped the contents inside. Then I tossed the box in the garbage can that was under the desk. I could always say that I bought it when I was out with Natasha. That technically would be true, right?