XX: "The Day Honor Dies."

PREFACE:

This chapter contains SPOILERS for the newly-added secret world quest in Patch 2.4, also known as the "Fortune Slip Quest" - or the one related to the SHUUMATSU GAIDEN achievement. The spoilers in question will only be mentioned in passing, but I still highly recommend finishing the quest line and experiencing the story quest for yourself first before digging into this chapter, as the contents of this chapter will still go into the final stages of the quest line.

-PAGE BREAK-

The dot of the sun peeked through the eastern horizon of Teyvat, giving its unseen light and unfelt warmth to the frozen lands of the nation of thunder and lightning. The winds blew hard and fast. Gale carried both ice and snow with their visible streams, greatly obscuring the visibility of the land in that one quiet morning. The skies remained unseen, with thick and heavy clouds still belching out their unrelenting moisture down to the earth - the cool climate however, froze such particles and turned them to snow instead.

Despite the ongoing blizzard, numerous sashimono fluttered against the wind - numbering in the dozens, yet only showcasing two distinctive banners that stood tall at the main gates of Fort Fujitou. On one side of the, with the invisible rays of the run behind their backs, stood the salmon and sky blue banner of the Clan Sangonomiya, carried by both Samurai and ashigaru of the Watatsumi Resistance, while the other displayed the three-headed moons of Clan Kujou, hoisted by the few but proud warriors of said clan.

The foot soldiers of both sides stood facing against each other, while their respective leaders stared each other down, trying to look as expressionless and unreadable as possible, even with the cold hammering their limbs and bodies. Spears were readied yet swords were not drawn, the clash between the two factions only happened through the exchange of fierce and uncompromising looks from the ones who led their fighters.

Of course, at the middle of it all, stood Kamisato Ayaka - carrying no real identification on her person with the exception of Clan Kamisato's crest emblazoned on her chest guard. The lady in white stood as still as stone, carefully observing the rising tension between the clan formerly-affiliated with the Shogunate and the one to represent the inhabitants of Watatsumi. Her own unflinching expression betrayed nothing on what she was feeling even as strife seemed to draw ever near.

The golden orbs of Kujou Sara darted between the steel eyes of the clan lady and the emerald ones belonging to the General of the Watatsumi Resistance. Both of which had their respective weapons dismissed and away from view. Her would then narrow themselves, her expression turning slightly sour, as if scowling as she kept her vision trained between them and also the armed men surrounding the Kujou's warriors.

Ayaka knew well that the Kujou probably had her own opinions towards the Resistance, and vice versa - but most evidently, she must've had some strong feelings against herself, considering the lady was now explicitly aligning with what could very well be easily perceived as traitors of the Shogun and the nation as a whole. The older lady already made herself plenty clear that her stance to support the Shogunate wouldn't change anytime soon.

It's for that reason that her brain raced for several potential ways to defuse the situation.

"Kujou Sara-san," Ayaka began, breaking the silence that'd permeated the large group, her steady voice pierced through the howling wind and reached the ears of every single combatant present on the gates of the Watatsumi's fort. "I'm pleased to see you well."

The sharp gaze of the former General showed that she wasn't happy with the arrangements. "You've never told me about us joining together with the Watatsumi Resistance for the upcoming operation, Lady Kamisato."