Prologue

You opened this book for a reason. Maybe you were curious, maybe you like one of the fandoms tagged, maybe it's a Valentine's day gift and you're the recipient (me). Whatever the case may be, this is my cautionary tale. Heed my warning, as your innocent soul might wander into treacherous roads only to be devoured by evil as dark as a lonely night sky.

       Have you ever heard of Reality Shifting? It's this wondrous ability that few possess and many try to accomplish to no avail. It messes with Neils Bohr's concept of quantum jumping as it uses this idea to help us manifest our goals and desires. Many use it to seek comfort from their favorite fictional characters and others use it to live a life of varying luxuries they wish they had. They're using this so-called theory to such little of its extent. They don't realize what real powers they possess. The power to rid the reality of an entire civilization, the power to reign over the people it inhabits, the power to save or destroy. This is something every shifter has but has never put any effort into conquering, dividing, and destroying with no consequences when they return to their original reality.

       It's funny how when you start off you're so innocent of everything. There's nothing that you know so you look and listen and learn. When you're born, you're held by your mother in her loving arms, shielding you from what you would one day grow to see is a treacherous world filled with nothing but scum. You're raised and taught either acceptance or ignorance and you make the choice on whether or not you choose to believe what you were told. You grow into a world where everything you do is judged and with every action, your worth is determined. It's pathetic.

       But I, however, realize that this isn't supposed to be a rant about how horrible the world has become. To have its citizens achieve a plane of existence far beyond ours to escape into another reality where maybe their parents are nicer, where maybe they aren't in crippling debt, where maybe they're simply happy.

       My cautionary tale is based on a true story. Now don't be scared, it's all been fixed and figured out, but at a horrible price. It's a story of innocence, power, corruption, and betrayal. Yet, this isn't a happy story and, unfortunately, it has no happy ending either. So spoiler alert, I guess? The real world isn't a fantasy where everyone holds hands and gets along. The real world is much more complicated than that.

So the story begins like this...