A Life Well Lived

The carriage jumped at the uneven road, waking Taderu from his catnap. He moved the curtain aside to let the bright summer sun help him wake. He could see the rolling hills and tall green grasses blow in patterns at the mercy of the unpredictable ghosts of wind. Hundreds of little birds flew to and fro playing in the wind and feeding on the riches hidden in the tall grass.

He looked over at his grandmother, shrunken with a face more rugged than the landscape they passed, but with a kind sweet face that and wise old eyes when they were open. Grandma Oniko had never told him her age. She always said - "I will live long enough for you to be an adult and manage my affairs. Then, I will be done. So don't you worry Shugāpu-kun." - She would say. Feeding him a plum or waving him out from underfoot. Her hair, a perfect bundle of silver on her head, contrasted her dark sunkissed face with her white kimono, Taderu smiled wanly, drinking in the sight of soba.

His 18th birthday had been yesterday and the party she had thrown for him was fantastical. The gardens were full of all the people who loved her, and him through her. Food and drink of every kind and a fireworks display that shamed the stars. Dragons danced the longwu, fire was juggled and music filled the air. He had fallen asleep exhausted on their favorite couch his head on her lap like when he was just a child. It had been a long time since he had lain like that while she played with his hair.

When he awoke that morning breakfast had been waiting for him on a tray. He ate heartily as always. No sooner had he finished eating when soba had walked in with her white kimono and perfectly made up, hair and all, just like the pictures she loved showing him of her wedding day with grandpa Akio-san. - "Let's go! I am ready and I am done.". - Taderu had walked out with her to the carriage and she took his hands looking up into his eyes, her small frame expressing the power of a warrior goddess. - "I love you Taderu-kun, and I have shared with you everything I know and have without holding anything back. It is your time, and mine has passed." - a small tear trickled down her face and Taderu's eyes watered.

He hugged her and blinked the tears away and opened that carriage but noticed his luggage wasn't on it. His grandmother had warned him his own voyage would begin soon and he had been daydreaming of what academy he would be attending and in what exotic part of the world. But she took his hand and boarded the carriage with his help. Confused he boarded with her and the carriage departed.

- Shugāpu-Kun, you may weep for 49 days but then, you must smile and let the sunshine brightly on your face. You will take all that I have shared with you and live out your destiny." - She had closed her eyes and sighed then. Taderu tried to speak with her or wake her but she peacefully slept. He was vigilant over her for a time but eventually dozed off.

The carriage pulled to a halt and the horses whinnied. - "Taderu-sama, we have arrived" - said the coachman. Taderu looked out the open curtain to see his grandfather's mausoleum. Turning to soba in surprise he notices she no longer took breath.