Deans Walkman

"Where the hell does this go?" Dean grumbled to himself as he struggled with the little screw driver.
The young hunter cursed aloud as the beat up walkman shocked him. His old Walkman had been a faithful companion throughout the years on the road, but now it was time to serve another purpose. Needing a new EMF meter, Dean popped the back off the device. The bundle of cords and wires was confusing at first sight, but he was soon able to reverse engineer an idea from his dad's old tool. He stared at the finished product, and decided to test it.
With a flip of the switch, the lights buzzed to life. The hunter's instincts reacted before his thoughts, and before he could comprehend his gun was cocked and pointed. At what, though? Dean scanned the small hotel room. The unmade bed sat still in the corner. The small table and chairs rested next to Dean in the kitchenette. The door was shut and dead bolted.
"Yoo, hoo," Dean coaxed, "Heeerree Ghosty." Nothing came out at him. The room seemed safe. "What did I do wrong?" Dean asked, turning the still ringing machine over in his hands.
He sat back down, still keeping a look out around the room, and sighing in confusion popped the back panel off. He stared at the tangle of wires once more, trying to figure out what needed fixing. As Dean reached in and tried to adjust a chord, a jolt traveled up his fingers.
"Sonnofa-OW. Again really?" He muttered, sticking his shocked finger in his mouth, trying to ease the pain. "Something else, then."
Dean reached back in, carefully, and re plugged the cord into place. When the machine shocked him again he threw it back on the bed. For a split second, he contemplated calling his little brother, Sammy, but decided against it. Sammy had always been the smart one but College Boy would just take over. Dean could do this himself. He huffed and stood to go over to the bed. Picking up the Walkman, he had a new determined light in his eyes.
"Maybe it's the circuit," he guessed and jiggled the plate. Something clicked. Was that a good thing or a bad thing? Who knows? Dean asked himself. He snapped the black cover panel into place and turned the device over to see the front.
The new screen backing was secure with the EMF measurements and the small light bulbs on top were in place. The antinea were good. Time to do this thing. He thought and flipped the switch.
Buzzing indicated that it was indeed on. Good buzzing? One could only hope. The Walkman began to click softly, showing normal levels of electromagnetic activity Dean had nothing to test the device with, so he would have to wait for a hunt to see if it really worked. So far, so good.
This time, nothing shocked him. It all seemed to work.
Dean said out loud, "Wait till' Sam gets a load of this." He chuckled. His little brother may not appreciate Dean's motives, but may just realize how smart he could be when it was required. Thinking of Sammy led him to think of his father. Dean was beginning to worry John had gone on a hunt, and he hadn't been home in a few days.