My Stephanie Part 2

MIKE’S P.O.V
After the Burial (9:21 am)

“Gave that ring to that someone you deserve the most. I know it’s not much to confess but when I say I love you…it can describe a thousands of words of how much you mean to me Mike”

Stephanie’s words still rang in my mind as I stared in her tomb while holding the ring on my hand. Caressed it with flashing memories with the girl that I love most. And now…she’s finally resting in peace.

I still feel her warmth in my arms that night. As if she’s here with me right now. I can’t help but to cry silently. How I wish I could turn back the time to spend more with the girl that I love…and the girl that I’ve been missing for years. I know something was off about her when she didn’t return my video calls last time. I wish I went home…I wish I could be with her again…but it was too late for that. She’s gone now…to a better place.

I wiped my tears away when an unknown man came in front of Stephanie’s tomb with bouquet of white roses in his hands. It’s Stephanie’s favorite flower. The man’s back was familiar to me.

When he turned around to face me, I widened my eyes in surprise to see my father whom I didn’t see for a long time…and who was now in front me.

He’s getting older than I remember. He was now supporting himself with his crane. “Dad?”

“Hello son…it’s good to see you again.” He smiled at me. That smile that I’ve been also longing to see. I let out my tears and hugged him. Oh how I miss my father so much. “I’m sorry for your loss Mike…Stephanie is a great girl.” I cried even more as he returned the hug.

After our reunited moment, me and my dad went to a nearby café. I sipped my hot cocoa and sigh. “Stephanie’s right, you’re a grown man now…” I narrowed my brows in confusion. “Stephanie had been sending me letters over the past years. She kept me updated about you every single day.”

I tried not to let my tears out again. I never know that she had taken care of my dad all these years. “Son…Stephanie has given something from me before she passed away. It’s a tiny box with a lock. She said that I should give it you after you return home.” Dad handed me a tiny box with a lock on it. “I think you knew the password of that lock.” My dad said and I chuckled. “When it comes to Stephanie…she’s bad at making passwords…” dad replied with a laugh.

“Thanks dad…for this…” he nodded. “Well son, why don’t you go home hmm? A man needs his rest.” I shook my head, refusing to go home. “I can’t right now, I have to go back on Stephanie’s tomb. I think her friends are still there.” I said and sip the last bits of my hot cocoa. “Okay, suit yourself then. I have to visit Steph’s parents anyway…and maybe have a small conversation with your mom.” I smiled at him. After we went out of the café, I called a taxi for him. “Don’t stay late okay?” Dad said before he closed the door in the backseat. I sighed tiredly, put the box inside my coat pocket and proceed to go back from Stephanie’s tomb.

After I got there, her two best friends are standing beside each other while facing their friends’ tomb. “Shouldn’t you both be home by now?” The two of them turned their heads to face me. “Oh hey mikey mouse!” They even said it in sync. “Can you both stop with that nickname?” I said and went beside Carlos. Silence filled the air as we stare at Stephanie’s grave.

“So…what are you going to do now Mike?” He asked.

“I have thought about this while I was on my way here. I’ve decided to continue my studies here. I’m not going back to Finland anymore.”

“Are you sure?” Katherine asked as both of them looked at me. I turn my gaze to them and nod. “I don’t want to leave Stephanie.” I said as I clutched the ring in my hand. I would never leave Stephanie here alone.