CHAPTER 10

You waited outside the practice room with bated breath. The boys slowly came out one by one looking exhausted and sticky, and wished you good luck as they passed. Once they all left, Soo-jin beckoned you inside. A man in his mid-thirties was standing there, along with a lady in a pantsuit. The atmosphere in the room was fairly calm and even energetic, but you were feeling far from that. You tried to calm your jittery nerves as you bowed to them respectfully.

"Hi, Y/N! I am Sung-deuk, Bangtan's choreographer, and this here is Seong-eun, Bangtan's vocal coach. We will be here for your evaluation today. There is no need to be so nervous, just remain calm. We'll inform you of what we will be evaluating you on before each on begins. But first we have a few questions for you. First, do you have any experience in singing, rapping or dancing?" he spoke. You glanced once at Soo-jin, who gave you an encouraging thumbs-up before replying.

"I have some experience in dancing. I was in my middle and high schools' dances crew for about three years. I never really took any main dance roles, I was mostly at the sides. As for singing or rapping, I don't have any formal experience. I think the only times I really ever sang was when I would try to write songs," you replied with more confidence than you felt.

"Oh, you write songs as well?" he asked curiously.

"I try to," you replied modestly.

"Would you mind letting us hear something you wrote then? Anything that comes to your mind," he said.

"Umm sure," you said, and started singing.

'Where have you been?

Where did you go, leaving me in the dark

I look for you, day and night

You left me with no hope, no light

What should I do, what should I say

To bring you back to me again?

I'm lost without your light,

I'm lost without you by my side

So tell me, what should I do

To bring you back to me again?'

Your voice was soft and sweet, and when you hit the higher notes, the stability of your voice left the evaluators in awe. However, they still wanted to see how good you were at controlling your voice, and so, they asked you to sing for them again.

"That was really good, Y/N. You have a real talent for writing. Is it OK if you sing another song for us. We want to see how stable your voice is, and judge your voice range a bit, so do pick a song accordingly," Seong-eun said. You thought for a minute thinking which song to sing. Eventually, you decided on Stronger by Kelly Clarkson.

'You know the bed feels warmer
Sleeping here alone
You know I dream in color
And do the things I want

You think you got the best of me
Think you had the last laugh
Bet you think that everything good is gone
Think you left me broken down
Think that I'd come running back
Baby you don't know me, 'cause you're dead wrong
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
Footsteps even lighter
Doesn't mean I'm over 'cause you're gone
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stronger
Just me, myself and I
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone'

Seong-eun was in awe of your voice.

"You have an amazing voice, Y/N! The control you have over it is great, and the fact that you could fluctuate your voice with such ease is astonishing for someone as inexperienced as you say you are. Are you sure you haven't taken lessons?" she asked you suspiciously. You nodded.