Declaration of Dependence

It's been itching at his throat for months. Scratching at his mind, throbbing at his chest, knocking at the door. Longing to break free, and longing most of all to shatter his ribcage into a million pieces.

Lucas is stuck in his bedroom. There's no hope of any battles today, no hope of any matches. He's sick all over, skin red and blotchy, nausea, all the feelings of absolute exhaustion washing over him like a tiresome steamroller.

It hit him harder today. Love. He's officially lovesick, and it's so undeniably stupid. It's Ness, it's just Ness, his best friend that he's hung around with for ages, got to know deeply and intricately. Just Ness, who Lucas wishes to spend every aching second with - that or hide from him forever, because romance is silly. Lucas can't go admitting things like this!

He groans, rolling over in bed. Luckily, he told Master Hand that he would be out of action for a while, being sure to put on an extra show of coughing, of weariness and a few sneezes for good measure. It had taken ample convincing, but everything worked out in the end. Thank goodness.

Well. Sort of worked out. The problem remains that he is in fact, actually sick. It sucks, he's bored, far too tired to take a nap, and heaven knows where Ness has gone. Probably in a battle. Or something. Lucas had secretly hoped that Ness would bring out his defensive side upon learning of his illness, but instead, Ness had just thrown him a blanket, and told him to get loads of rest. Like, who does that?

He's not even sure where the feelings began. Some months after their first meeting, he'd wager. Hah - their first meeting. It all started with finding out some of the weird stuff they had in common, before moving onto Ness becoming super protective, because, in his own words, "I'm not letting the only person remotely like me get hurt." And though Lucas resents his own inability to fend off some of the more brutish members of the cast, he loves it when Ness cracks out his baseball bat and whacks Wario upside the head for "daring to mess with Lucas!"

Everything about Ness is chaotic. His voice sounds like he's on fast-forward, exuberant and colourful. He does whatever, whenever he feels like it, simple as that. Lucas likes to have a plan for his day. Goals to achieve. Tasks. Anything. Though, he can't resist being caught up in some of Ness's crazy schemes - sledding down the big hill outside on a POW block of all things, trying to freeze as many people as possible, and best of all, trying to race a load of Wooloos around a field.

He's crazy. Lucas loves it.

Groaning, he switches on his phone. Through his pounding head, he sees that there are, again, no new notifications, no new posts on Tumblr or any messages from anybody. Which means, the best thing to do is to find a meme to start a conversation with Ness. Aha, yes, that will do. Yes. Gosh. Memes with King Dedede always go down well. He sends it, hoping for a response.

Nesssssssssss: 'ey! Why u sending dis? GO SLEEP!

Lucas sighs.

Lucasboi48: I refuse.

Nesssssssssss: DON'T MAKE ME COME UP THERE AND FORCE FEED U SLEEPING PILLS

Lucasboi48: Sleeping pills? Please, have mercy. I don't wanna sleep.

Nesssssssssss: Lucky for u I'm in a match, but watch out cause soon as I'm done I'm gonna getchu

Lucasboi48: You're texting me during a match? Are you mad?

Nesssssssssss: yeh just got KOd. ow. mistakes were made. Match over. On my way!

Smiling, Lucas puts down his phone. Dumb as it seems, maybe Ness can take away this sickness. Maybe if Lucas just happens to confess, to make his declaration of dependence... heh. Nah. It'd never happen. Lucas could never have the balls to do something like that.