03 :: Facts Set In

"ɴɪɢʜᴛᴍᴀʀᴇs ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ sᴛᴏᴘ

ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ's sᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇs ᴀ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍ.
ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ɪs ᴀ ᴅɪᴀᴍᴏɴᴅ.
ʜɪs ᴍᴏᴛʜᴇʀ."

I stayed right outside the house, watching the boy adapt to the changes. Taehong was so out of place in that quaint house, that I couldn't help but let a smile break out on my lips. He was the only one who had still been shivering like a newborn kitten.

I could feel the heat he had been emitting. The tremendous heat. For many years, heat was thought to be synonymous with the desire to live. It still is. And it's a fact too. And it was heartening to know that Taehyung was willing to live, despite all circumstances. Even if it meant doing it without his mother.

Moving on...

There was a certain kind of relief in knowing how fast Taehong was adapting to the changing conditions. His eyes were glossy, a watery sheen coated them. He was still processing the departure of his mother. Departure from the human world that could be seen by them, at least.

"Your room will be this one," Fores said, as she opened a door.

A woody scent engulfed him. The scent had been so familiar, yet so foreign. Little did he know that the scent that had been tickling his senses was coming from, none other than, the soul attached to him. It would seem quite cliché to say that there are characteristic smells for the souls too. But that was just how things are. 

Trust me, I don't set the rules. I just... Happen to be in charge of making sure that people, or things rather, abide by those so-called rules.

"My room is right opposite to yours," she continued, as she saw Taehong hesitating to take a step inside. "Don't worry. I was scared the first time too."

"First time?"

In a very long time, he had finally opened his mouth. His voice was shaky, a little feeble yet loud enough for Fores. His surprised tone made her lips break out into the slightest of smiles.

"I was like you too," she said, walking into the room. "Mom and dad... I mean, the people who brought you here. Taylor and Alaric? They found me all alone, and brought me here."

Taehong still wasn't sure of what to believe. He'd just been struck with another piece of information that he didn't really know how to process. And it was quite clear how stumped he was. Considering how much a kid of his age could stomach, I was surprised he hadn't already gone insane.

He just looked at Fores with wide eyes. "I don't understand."

It almost seemed as though he was trying his level best to discern what she had been implying, but it was to no avail. His head tilted on its own accord, as she led him in and made him sit down right next to her.