Chapter Nineteen: Rich Confusion

After securing the device on my knee, I could freely, and without restraints move around

It hugged the side of my knee, helping with bending, all that important shit. It was specifically made for me by a group of well trained engineers, made for the every day life of the world's best CIA agent. I left my cane in the car and strolled up the stairs of my apartment building.

I passed by Carl, who was a very talkative and happy-go-lucky guy, but in the confines and privacy of his apartment, he made porn. With men.

"Hey, man!" He smiled and shook my hand. He was a solid five foot five at best, and his hands were almost always clammy or sticky. "Carl," I smiled at him, and his eyes flickered all around my face before he dropped my hand and said the worst possible words anyone could ever hear.

"You'd be a great porn star,"

I choked on air. He laughed at me, sticking his hands in his jean pockets.

"Just saying man. If you ever need a little more dough, give me a call. That is if you're not opposed to the idea of doing it with men,"

Deciding it was better to be honest and let him down slowly, I nodded, "I don't subject myself to society's ideologies of sexuality. I fuck who I wanna fuck, regardless of their gender. But, I'm involved with someone, but thanks for the invite, man,"

His green eyes searched my face for a full minute before he nodded and smiled. "Yeah, well it'll stand for however long I do,"

I left the porn star and escaped to my apartment. My brain was clouded with the conversation all the way to the front door.

I opened the door, but stopped dead in my tracks after closing it behind myself.

I left my key with Steele for safekeeping. I walked into my apartment without my key.

Jesus Christ.

Slipping my suit jacket from my shoulders, I double-checked my gun in the back of my trousers as I checked the machine on my knee, deciding to wait out the threat. If there was any.

Maybe I didn't lock up. Maybe.

Maybe.

Leaving the lights off and using the light from the outside streetlamps to cast a delicate shadow into my apartment, I slipped two fingers behind the blue tie around my neck and loosened it before tossing it onto my couch. Next were my sleeves, and I circled my apartment very slowly as I did, using the corners of my eyes to survey and assess my surroundings before I made move to protect myself.

It was deathly silent in my apartment. Almost unusually so. Usually, it wasn't this quiet.

I turned my back got the kitchen, making my way to my bedroom but I was halted.

Halted by the cool, steel pressed against the back of my head.

I tensed, then when I heard the clicking back of the trigger, I said a quick prayer and subtly made the Catholic cross on my chest. I felt the gun at the back of my trousers being pulled out, the heavy metal falling to the floor with an annoying scrape across my expensive hardwood floors.