- 01

CHAPTER ONE 

⎯⎯IN WHICH SHE PRACTICE

・・・

Artemis needed to get out of the old and rusty warehouse. And that of course included her old, trusty Beretta 84BB pistol. One Jorge gave her when she first learned how to pull the trigger and hit the old cans they placed outside for her practice when she arrived.

There were mainly two reasons why she needed some air. Number one, she had been stuck inside for far too long time now and had gotten extremely bored. The Cranks had moved closer to the warehouse now and so Jorge ended up forbidding them leaving. And two, she couldn't practice her shooting in here. The others didn't get that happy when she attempted to do it last time, and on top of that Jorge gave her one of his rare "dad to daughter" lessons afterwards.

Jorge was a former berg pilot. A big, flying transportation vehicle used by WICKED for whatever they do in their locked-up rooms and labs. Some say they used them to spread the Flare years ago when the sun stopped scorching us.

Years ago, Jorge and Brenda worked for WICKED but ended up betraying them, and now they're here. Brenda is Artemis best friend, along with Jorge and have short, brown hair and eyes that glow bright in the dark.

Artemis stepped outside and was greeted by the burning sun that heated the gravelly ground under her feet. With the sun on its highest there wasn't much life around here, mostly Cranks and rats in the sewers. If they were lucky enough to catch something it would be in the evening. When the sun got down it wasn't that hot anymore. That was a plus when it comes to getting food that isn't can food stacked on each other in a closet.

But on the other hand, it got cold in the night. That's when the blankets Brenda once "stole" can come in handy.

Around the corner in an old and smaller barn Artemis had placed some old cans as targets. From the holster she pulled her reliable Beretta and placed the weapon on a table as she found the magazines from a cabinet. With the Beretta in her left hand, she inserted the loaded magazine into the pistol and pulled the slide back.

She made sure to point it in a safe direction. She didn't want to risk shooting something unnecessary. Like a toe. She almost shot herself in the foot one time when she was new to this weapon and fully didn't know how to use it. Jorge wasn't in a good mood afterwards.

Artemis placed the tip of her finger on the trigger and lifted the gun and took aim. She let out a breath and squeezed the trigger, watching as the bullet flew through the air before it hit the target which fell to the ground with a rattling sound.

"Impressive." A familiar voice said from behind. "You've gotten much better compared to your first time." 

She frowned and turned around to see Jorge leaning against the door.

"Learned from the best." The girl said and turned the safety back on the pistol before clearing it of the remaining ammunition.

He let out a laugh. "I'll take that as a compliment."

With the gun in the holster, she accompanied him on the walk back to the warehouse."Don't get to used to it. I'm in a good mood today." She answered with a grin.

"Better than the others maybe?" He opened the old and rusty door as they walked in.

She shrugged and let out a laugh.

"Where have you been, I've been looking for you." Brenda walked down the stairs and greeted them both in the entrance.

"Practicing with the gun before he showed up." Artemis nodded her head towards Jorge.

"She's in a good mood today." He said, taking part in the conversation. "Make sure to gain some compliments before someone ruins it."

"Like Barkley." Artemis muttered.

"Like Barkley." Brenda confirmed and laughed when the man appeared from a room with his classic hammer in his hand. Always looking like he killed someone. 

"Oh, shut up." The girl laughed. "You're not getting any compliments now, that's for sure."

"Don't need them anyway." Brenda brushed her off with a spark in her eye.