Chapter VI

I opened my eyes and for the first time was not surrounded by darkness. Someone had left a lamp on the nightstand, a steady warmth emanating from it. Someone had also braided my mess of hair away from my face, it was long enough to do so now. I was warm, I realized. A quilt was wrapped snug around my body, socks had been placed on my bare, dirty feet. I couldn't remember the last time I was warm. Even in the summer heat, the cold never seemed to leave the dark palace, a shiver had followed me like a shadow.

Alexandra was slumped in a chair, light snoring coming from her. Sleep seemed to soften her harsh features. Her angular nose crinkled in her sleep, her mouth slightly ajar. My back burned, but it was a pain that I had to have gotten used to by then.

"...Alexandra," my voice was a croak, her name unfamiliar on my tongue. It was inappropriate for a slave to refer to dark fae by their first names...but I was a slave no longer. Or was I? A bitter feeling had sunk its claws in me ever since Tannon refused to remove the manacles. They had mentioned that their King of Light ordered it that way, that he had orchestrated my rescue. I couldn't help but think he wanted me as much as the Dark King had, a slave once more. All males of power were the same, the only question was who was the better liar.

It was a moment before I realized the snoring had stopped, Alexandra was staring at me, "I don't think I've ever heard you say my name." I didn't know what to say to that. She shrugged, "I brought you something from the kitchen, but...I couldn't bear to wake you." She gestured to a plate of long-cold fish and potatoes, the smell of hot spices still lingered in the air. She got up and passed the dish to me, her movements hesitant.

"Thanks," I said, taking the plate from her. The meal made my mouth water, my stomach churned in anticipation. Meals for slaves was always an afterthought, but even when there was something to eat...I had a hard time finding the will. My mind had been elsewhere.

"You should really eat, Lucius."

"I know," my voice was a whisper. I took a sip of water and urged myself to take a bite. 'Good boy,' his voice rang in my ear. I swallowed, the first bite like sand in my mouth. She watched me, looking as if she wanted to say something. Whatever was on her mind she held back, I didn't ask. She would occasionally pass me some water, the action so much like what I had done for her.

Silence passed for a moment before she spoke, "You are going to truly love Neulight."

"...and my sister is there, safe?"

She nodded, "Serana is a very brave girl. She spoke very highly of you, her big brother who saved her life." I nodded absently, only thinking of how she would see me now. Whore. Slave. Powerless.

"I am not that male now."

"You can find yourself again, Lucius. We can help you."

"And who is 'we'? Sirus? Tannon? They think me a killer, a monster who deserves the cuffs put on him," I spat. Fear was an afterthought as I spoke the words to the dark fae. My heart raced against my chest.

"Lucius–"

"Why are you doing this?" I put the plate aside, my shriveled stomach not being able to handle much. "You are dark fae, you have it all. What could you gain from helping light fae?"

"It's not what I could gain, it's what I would lose if I did not help, what the dark fae have long forgotten." She sighed, her eyes full of emotion, "I am dark fae, but I am no monster, I am not him." I could not deny the truth she spoke, but there were lies she did not voice.

"....Him or not, do not forget I was your slave, my lady," my voice was ice. Her kindness in the palace meant little when I served her every will and left her chambers to be beaten and depraved.