Chapter VII

"No, left over the middle strand. You're pulling it too far across," I said.

"Like this?"

"Yes," I pointed toward the far right strand, "now pull that strand across the middle."

"It's very loose, Alexandra," Zaraj pointed out with a giggle.

Alexandra gave the girl a quick tug of her hair, "Better?"

"You'll get there," the little girl said, unfazed. The dark fae only rolled her eyes before picking up the braiding once more. I had been at the inn for five days. Each day that passed seemed to make the light fae more anxious. Tannon insisted that we leave in two days, but Alexandra said that I needed at least five more days before she felt comfortable having me upright on a horse.

No one decided on anything, not willing to pull rank. Everything was just a waiting game. Every day Alexandra had invited me to watch Ophelia's children and up until today, I had declined. I enjoyed Opar the most: he made no sudden movements, he didn't cry, he just stared. Time passed slowly and I had ended up teaching Alexandra how to braid. Her hands were more fit for a blade than for dressing hair.

"Ummm... when you're done, could Lucius fix what's left? Pleeasssee?" Zaraj turned to me with a pout on her lips, "Will you dress hair in the palace, Lucius?" Alexandra scoffed as the girl's movement caused her to lose her grip in the hair.

"I...I don't know what the palace has in store for me," I admitted to the young girl.

"Nothing you don't want, Lucius," Alexandra spoke, turning towards me, "You are truly free." The words seemed to mean less and less as time passed.

"And if I didn't want to go to Neulight?" I asked.

Zaraj looked at me, a frown on her face, "Why wouldn't you want to go to Neulight? It's the best." I held Alexandra's gaze. When she didn't respond, I gave her a tight-lipped smile and looked away. We both knew the answer to my question. I was free from the Dark Palace, but not free to make my own choices. If I didn't want to go to Neulight, I would be forced. The King of Light wouldn't want to lose his investment. The manacles were a cold bite against my skin. The tension that filled the room was answer enough. The silence was strained as I plaited Zaraj's hair.

When I had finished, Alexandra took the children outside. I stayed behind, my mind brewing. Children's laughter could be heard from where I sat in Alexandra's room. I was surprised that she left me here alone in her room, but a quick glance told me that she held no personal belongings here. A small bag sat by the window and that was all.

The evening crowd had begun to trickle in before Alexandra finally led the young mortals back inside. She pushed open the door to her room, her hair was plastered to her face, her cheeks flushed. If she seemed shocked to find me in the same place she had left me, she didn't show it. She walked right past me to the bathroom.

When she came out, she leaned on the door frame and looked at me, "Are you coming down to eat?" I nodded and followed her out the door. My short time in the tavern had done little for my skeletal form, but every day I felt a little better.

There was a buzz in the air, filled with laughter and life. I could hear the clinking of glasses and the sizzle of food ready for hungry bellies. Alexandra led me to the stairs, a small smile on her face.

Cold air swept across the room as the door to the tavern opened. I hardly saw who stood in the door frame before Alexandra had swept me back into the hallway, her breathing heavy. She placed her hand over my mouth to cover the cry that threatened to leave my mouth as she pushed me against the wall. My barely healed back screeched in protest.