Resistance Is Futile

Author's Note: Thank you all for your support on this story! There's a few hints of what's coming in The Complication series here—nothing too shocking, just some lovely little drops here and there.

There are also spoilers for The Complication and The Case ( which covers the events in Measure of a Man).

-X-

Commander Riker was stretched out on the couch in Captain Picard's Ready Room. He was staring at the desk across the way. For some reason, crossing those three metres of carpet seemed like an insurmountable task.

The shift change had come and gone without any noise from their escaped prisoners. While Commander Riker was grateful for the peace, it left him feeling uneasy.

He had no inkling of what they were planning.

The next shift change wasn't for hours. There would be no way they could last that long unless they were receiving help.

Help from someone that could walk about freely.

Commander Riker sighed and lay back against the sofa.

The door chimed.

"Enter," Riker called out without moving.

Doctor Pulaski stepped inside carrying a hotpot filled with soup.

"Hope you don't mind this being served the old-fashioned way," Pulaski said. "With the replicators down, my options were limited."

She stopped in her tracks as her eyes fell on the abandoned desk.

"A cook is only as good as her ingredients," Riker said as he sat up properly on the sofa.

Pulaski turned. She wasn't surprised to see Riker hiding in the corner.

"Are you sure that you wouldn't feel better eating at the desk?" Pulaski asked.

She was trying to boost Riker's confidence. She could physically see how taking command weighed on him. Riker was a natural—but he wasn't immune from imposter syndrome.

"I'm sure the soup is fantastic," Riker assured her, ignoring her comment about the desk.

With a groan, he pulled himself up to his feet and headed over to one of the built-in cabinets to fetch some bowls and utensils.

"Would you care to join me, Doctor?" Riker asked.

Even though his memories were scrambled, Commander Riker greatly appreciated Doctor Pulaski's company. He welcomed her frank demeanour, and they shared a compassion for the safety of the crew.

Katherine Pulaski wasn't afraid to speak her mind and couldn't be intimidated by Starfleet brass. Will Riker respected that. He also understood that he needed staff brave enough to challenge his assertions. Pulaski's dry wit was just a bonus.

"Oh no, this is all for you," Pulaski said.

Doctor Pulaski set the ceramic pot down on top of the desk.

Commander Riker paused.

"Sooner or later, you're going to need to accept that's your seat now," Pulaski said knowingly.

Riker knew she was right.

"Radical acceptance. It's not comfortable. But when you're going through hell..." Pulaski added as she watched Riker sit down at the desk.

Commander Riker lifted the lid off the pot and sniffed the contents.

"This really does smell incredible," Riker confessed. "And I have to say that hot soup sure feels good right now."