Chapter 1

3rd person POV

CLOUD RECESS – Orchid room

First day of classes

The residence of the Lan sect was situated in a remote mountain outside the city of Gusu.

Mist constantly enveloped the white walls and black roofs of the building as if it was an ocean of cloud in the immortal realm. At dawn, the first ray of morning sun shore through the mist that covered all that the sun touches, perfect for the name Cloud recess

In such a tranquil place one's heart could be as still as water, only the echoes of the bell tower could be heard vibrating through the air

In the middle of the orchid room stood Lan Quiren with the twin jade Lan Wanji and Lan Xichen by his side; welcoming all the new disciples to their journey of studying in cloud recess.

The disciples stood one by one paying their respect to their teacher. All the clans from Nei Huaisang of the Qinghe Nei clan to Jin Zixuan of the Lanling Jin Clan to Jiang Cheng , Wei Wuxian and Jiang Yanli of the Yunmeng Jiang Clan were present leading to the the meet of the next generation of leaders , a perfect place for small sects to form connections.

Jin  Zizuan stepped forward bowing to Lan Quiren. However the ambience was shattered by a long wail , giving a shudder down the back of everyone in the room .

A panicked disciple came running through the gate reaching in the middle of the room

"Running is prohibited" came a cold yet smooth voice belonging to Lan Wanji spoke indifferently

Lan Quiren turned toward the disciple "What happened"

"An intruder was detected in the back mountain" the disciple replied bowing, a few gasps were heard in the class, everyone knew that cloud recess was on of the most protected places and the only way to enter was if the person was in possession of a jade pass like all the members of the Gusu Lan sect, not only was there an intruder but they were able to reach the back mountain where only the main sect disciples were allowed to enter.

Lan Quiren turned towards Lan Xichen, giving a slow bow Lan Xichen moved out of the Orchid room with a few disciples and Lan Wanji towards the place as pointed by the disciple .

All the students were send back to their rooms for the day for their safety as the intentions of the intruder were not yet clear. Cloud recess did have the next heirs of major sects but no one would be foolish enough to harm them when they were under Gusu Lan sect. 

Lan Xichen and Lan Wanji with 12 other disciples made their way towards the back mountain in search of the intruder, but on reaching the back mountain all they find was an unfamiliar quietness as if nothing had changed

"what do you think Wanji" Xichen asked his brother walking a bit ahead of the disciples in case there is a need for them to interfere. It had started to rain quite hard in the past few days but today was harder than most, the dark clouds made day look like evening.

"Too quiet" was all that he got in return. Lan Wanji was never a man of many words but after the death of their mother made his heart  frozen, never to open for anyone again.

"Zewu Jun, we found something" they moved towards where the disciples pointed,

A few leaves were covered in blood and led towards the direction of the mountain, following the trail of blood they found someone laying at the bottom of the trunk, figure covered by a brown cloth. The disciples moved cautiously towards the person after not sensing any malice from them. Turning the person around a few gasps were heard the figure turned out to be a girl, trying to wake her up a disciple moved towards her but in a flash she moved and had a makeshift knife at his throat.

Moving fast the other disciples unsheathed their swords, Lan Wanji and Lan Xichen stood back stood back not feeling any bloodlust from the girl.

"Who are you" the voice was a bit rough either by trying to make it sound a bit steady or thirst, maybe a bit of both.

Zewu Jun move closer as he carefully observed the girl and the knife in her hand , better if we solve it without bloodshed "I am Lan Xichen you are in Gusu" he moved near her as slowly as he could

"Lan Xichen .. Lan Xichen ...Lan " mumbling a few more times her eyes widen as if something finally made sense she started laughing

"Nice joke are you going to tell me now that guy over there is Lan Wanji" she said pointing towards the boy in the back with a Guqin behind his back.

"Yes he is" replied Lan Xichen , just a bit more and he could get the disciple out of danger and then deal with this girl .

"stay where you are" came a voice as the knife grazed the neck of the disciple .

"Release the disciple and then we can talk"

"so we are in cloud recess and you are Lan Xichen" the girl said as a mater of fact ,things finally making sense.

"Yes" her grip loosened on the knife, she was in Gusu how why here why now , too consumed in her thoughts she did not notice the disciple geting out of her grip, he rose to his feet as fast as he could and moved towards the group

There is no way this is real. It can't be .

"Who are you"

Lan Xichen asked moving towards the wounded girl

"brother"

"It's fine Wanji "

He pulled at her hand to help her stand and  gain balance but she was too weak 

The last thing she saw Lan Wanji run towards her before it all went black

Yeah no way this is real . 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Not the longest chapter but yeah; so that is it for the first chapter tell me what you think  about it and the next few chapters I'll try to get the setting of the story but it begins just like in the book only a few different things due to the "incident"  

So yeah tell me what you think :)