one

Valerie's POV

This was my first time back in Tulsa after a year. I had spent the previous summer there with my cousin and I had made new friends. Where I'm from, we don't have socs or greasers, everyone is all the same. I guess I don't dress as lousy as some of the other greaser girls around here because last summer I was mistaken for a soc a good bit of times. My thoughts started to take over my head towards the end of the long car ride. What if they don't remember me? What if they don't like me anymore? My thoughts were soon cut short by my mother telling me that we had arrived at the Curtis home. 

Normally I would go to Two-Bit's house first to drop my things off, but he instructed me to come by the Curtis house first. Two-Bit was out front and he helped grab my bags for me. "Bye mom I'll see you soon," I said to my mother. "Bye Val, I love you sweetie," she replied back to me. My mother drove off to begin her long road trip back home. "Why did you want me to come here first? We are going to have to carry my things back to your house," I asked Two-Bit as we started to walk towards the Curtis front door. "You'll see," he replied with a cheeky grin spread across his face. I opened the door first and was frightened by a lot of "surprise Val" or "welcome back". 

"Damn you guys, I wanted to be in here too," Soda stated as he walked from the kitchen with a chocolate cake in his hands. The top was decorated with pink sprinkles and lettering that said "happy late birthday". My birthday was last month and I didn't really get to have a birthday celebration. "Wow I'm special enough to get one of Sodapop's famous chocolate cakes for my birthday?" I asked real excited. "Of course, only the best for you V," Soda replied. 

Two-Bit placed my bags by the door as I was hugging everyone. "You guys are the best," I told them. "For what?" Johnny asked me. "For celebrating my birthday," I said. "Oh that's the bare minimum, we could have got you a car. 16 is a really big birthday 'ya know," Dallas explained. "Well thank you all, again," I said giggling a little. 

After we all ate some cake and caught up with one another, we sat in the living room and watched a movie. I was sat in between Johnny and Dally on the couch. A few minutes after the movie started, I felt myself getting tired so I yawned and tried to keep myself awake. "Are you tired?" Johnny whispered in my ear. It caught me by surprise and sent shivers down my spine. "Yeah, a little. Why?" I asked him. "Because you look it," Johnny said, "Must be from all that travelin'." "Yeah," I replied back to him. "Can you two hush, I can't hear," Ponyboy snapped at us. Johnny opened his arms and signaled for me to lie down, and I did just that. 

Authors Note: Ahhh my first chapter is done! It's a little short but I will try to make the next one longer. I hope you liked it and I will be trying to get another one out soon!