Prologue

Javeria burrowed further beneath her blankets.

I'll be fine.

She debated turning to face the monster for a few more seconds and then gave in to her curiosity. Javeria turned towards the tapping at her bedroom window.

It was just a bird and upon closer scrutiny, she could just barely make out a shiny object held in its beak.

Javeria looked at the time. Exactly twelve o'clock in the morning the day after her birthday. The phantom scent of candles brought her memory of wishing for magic.

She then glanced back at the small bird against the brightening sky but this time with a sparkle in her eye.

This must be her magic.

"Are you here for my birthday?"

The bird seemed to bob it's whole body ever so slightly. She didn't expect an answer, so she thought nothing of the small movement.

Javeria smiled wider and slipped out of bed to creak open the window for the bird.

The bird was a pretty lark, it had soft brown feathered wings and a tuft of black on its head, just barely illuminated by the street lamp across the road. Javeria held out her hand and quivered with excitement. The lark promptly deposited its gift.

In the palm of her hand lay a smooth silver pebble the size of a jellybean.

Javeria did her best to thank the lark.

She didn't have sunflower seeds but she remembered her half eaten granola bar sitting on her desk and offered a few sticky grains.

Eventually the lark had to leave and he flew out the window with the rising sun.

Javeria smiled and went back to sleep, holding tightly onto the stone.