Old Connections

Guzman sat on the cliff with Andre a bucket of beer bottles. It was a year since they left Las Encinas and Spain. His parents were insisting on him returning and getting that high school degree but to be honest, he didn't really care. He had plans to explore further and check our the law college in the States where he would think about pursuing it. Spain for now would have to remain out of his plans. There was no way he was going back in the world of blood and dead bodies.

"What are you thinking?" Ander's questioned pulled him back to the present. Guzman shrugged his shoulder and chugged half his drink down. "Nothing. Just wondering how the hell has it been a year. Until last year I couldn't even imagine getting out of there." He sighed and turned to face his friend. They may look like two teenagers, cashing on the luxuries provided by their parents but only the two knew the dreadful life they've seen in the past three years. If Ander had overcome cancer, Guzman had gone through the death of his sister by his best friend and the death of his best friend, by an accident through his ex girlfriend. He was sure no one had fully moved on but they were all dealing with life the way it was. The load had lightened of course but how did you move on from all of it?

"You're thinking about it again, aren't you?" Ander observed Guzman and commented after a while. All he got in return was a bleak smile. "We've got a flight to catch tomorrow. My father's in Boston and he expects me to meet him for the university meeting. Come on." Guzman didn't want to comment further so he got up, throwing the empty bottles in the nearest trash can and gave his hand to Ander. "There are many courses you could look into as well. He knows the chancellor so it's going to be shit easy." Call it nepotism but he was proud of it. He may enrol into the college with the help of his father but it will be his hard work later. The boys returned to their hotel room and fell asleep instantly. After a crazy night in Amsterdam with booze, girls and nostalgia, it was hard to stay up longer, especially with the amount of alcohol in his system.

The alcohol was still in him, the hangover driving him crazy as they found themselves in a lengthy flight to Boston. Guzman spent most of his flight sleeping and the final few hours watching binging Oscuro Deseo's final season. By the time they reached, they were jet lagged and starved. Guzman's father, Venture Nunier got them picked from the airport and met them at the Four Seasons where they had brunch and they were informed to be prepared at five as they'll be visiting the campus. Venture was a man of time and didn't even waste it on his son. The brunch had been a quick reunion... he met him after six months but that's what you got for business minded parents. Guzman missed having his mother around who would at least take the time out of day for him. Regardless, it didn't matter as he was used to it. Once they settled in their rooms, Guzman crashed again only to be awoken late in the afternoon for their visit. It was an effort and he wanted nothing more than to have them reschedule it but he knew his father would leave a cannon on him if he even considered.

Boston College - one of the top most law schools. The moment he stepped in the lawn, a smile pulled on his lips. It seemed to be exactly the way he had researched. Classes seemed to be almost done as there were many outdoors. The handful that were, they seemed to be buried in the books. He found it odd that the campus was deserted but had no time to ponder on it as they were quickly ushered in the chancellors room. Not many questions were asked... it was like he and Andre were spectators, nodding and smiling and answering a few questions here and there. Guzman was asked why he was interested in law as a formality and even he wasn't too enthusiastic in responding since he knew he would get in either way. It was a thing he disliked because it felt like his passion was being sidelined because of this hand given admission. Still, he was glad that he was getting a chance at it. There were so many who were desperate to get in but couldn't since the admission lineup was too thin and only the best got it - and if you didn't have a high school diploma? No chance. But with a few strings and his father owning most of the properties and assets in many schools, it wasn't difficult. Not when the chancellor had a share in his father's black business. "There is a debate school night going on in campus if you want to join. It will be a good way to mingle and get to know people. The term started two weeks back so I understand it will be hard for you to adjust but use this opportunity to get to know a few." The chancellor smiled at them. With that, Guzman understood they were pretty much admitted and starting soon. He glanced at Ander who shrugged and the two got up, leaving the men behind. "Wow, that was quick." Ander commented after leaving the room and Guzman rolled his eyes. "You think they'd have a beer?" This was a university party so they would find one right?

The hall was buzzing with music and students the moment he and Ander stepped in. No one was paying attention to them but a few girls passed their say and gave him a flirty look. Guzman's eyes twinkled in excitement as he watched them leave and navigated through the dancing bodies towards the bar table. He was wondering how he'd get to his father when the message ringtone alerted him to a text from his old man. They were to get back through a cab... alright!

"Fuck."

The words from Anders mouth made him look up curiously at his friend, following his gaze and Guzman froze. No way. No fucking way.

In front of him was a girl none other than his ex-girlfriend, Nadia Shante... the girl he had madly loved... wrapped around another boy. He could recognize her from anywhere but what stunned him was that she never went public... not like this. They were linked together, kissing the heck out of each other, not giving a damn about who was in the room. Guzman was over her but seeing her like this brought mixed feelings, one with heavy distaste in his mouth. She must have sensed the staring as she broke apart to look their way and mirrored the same look of shock. Guzman didn't waste anytime as he grabbed a beer bottle from the bar and hurried away, leaving his best friend behind. He didn't know how he ended there but he found himself on the terrace, out in the open air and stared at the sky. How the fuck was she in this college? The last he knew, she and Lu were in New York, attending Columbia university so there was no effing way she could have moved. He had checked her profile from time to time and it just didn't make sense.

How long was he there for? He had no idea but he stayed there, contemplating his choice. He couldn't ask his father to get him to move, could he? But could he stay in the same college as her? Guzman still found it hard to believe that she was studying there so he decided to give her the benefit of doubt and ask Ander who sure must have gotten the deets. Thinking about his best friend, he realized he had left him behind. It must have been a while now, so he figured the boy was enjoying himself. Guzman wanted to go back for a refill but he wasn't sure if he wanted to face her.

"I got you another." Another voice answered his thoughts... a voice he couldn't forget even if he had too. This voice in particular didn't send him into a shock or made him nervous but it sure did surprise him further. Slowly, Guzman turned to face the newcomer, coming face to face with Lucrecia Montesinos... his very first girlfriend. She stood there, her eyes filled with the fire he always associated with her, holding our a glass of whatever it was (he didn't bother looking at it). The dress she wore hugged her body in all the right places, making his lips twitch playfully. Watching her like that reminded him of all the times they spent together. She didn't seem to have changed much, except lost a bit of weight. Guzman knew he shouldn't but he couldn't help it... his eyes roamed all over her body, finally stopping at her face to meet her eyes.

"Lu. What a surprise." Guzman didn't understand how Lu too appeared to be in the same university but he was surprisingly happy to see her and took a step closer.