A Journey to Remember

Hey! Some of y'all may have this o n AO3 but I decided to also post it here :)

Summary:

Owen decided to explore the maze again with some fellow gladers to map out more areas.

Things are going smoothly before they notice a new discovery within the maze...

---------------------------------------------------------

AKA:
The lives of the outsiders' get so much worse after a terrifying discovery is found...

---------------------------------------------------------

Owen's POV:

New day, new area of the maze to explore. I ask around to see who wants to go in today, Rasbi and Magic. We make sure everything is ready before heading inside. We race around the already explored sections until I realize it's changed again. This is a new area. I call for Magic and Rasbi who are slightly behind and tell them to be careful and that this is an unexplored area. We carefully clear corridors and alleyways before we turn a corner and reach a long hallway of mossy stone, with a single door at the other end. A door? There's never been doors in the maze. We cautiously make our way down and I start to see a little more at the other end. It's too dark to see after the door though so we keep slowly making our way forwards. We've reached the door now. I put my hand out, stopping the other two's movement. I step on the pressure plate and the door opens.

That's when I see him. Just laying there, lifeless. His blank eyes bore into my own as I lean forwards.

"Oh Apo... what happened?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Third Person POV:

The people in the clearing were talking amogys themselves, collecting resources or just having fun. Everything was peaceful.

Until a grief-stricken scream freezes everyone to their core before they all sprint towrds the direction of the scream; The Maze.

Everyone meets up at the entrance of the maze, quickly coming to the conclusion of who's missing: Owen, Rasbi and Magic.

They all staff at other in fear and shock before they hear staggered footsteps. They look up and they all freeze again. 

Owen is staggering towards them, looking exhausted, with a body in his arms. Rasbi and Magic slowly following behind them with blank faces.

Oh god. What happened?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Owen reached the entryway of the maze, he looks up and the people gathered there and watches as he sees their faces turns into those of recognition, shock and sorrow.

He hears the shocked gasps and cries of his fellow gladers as everyone hugs each other whilst the corpse of their friend, Apo, slowly fades away.

From the other side of the maze, a woman sleeps on inside a cave, unknowing of the events that have gone down.

And no one notices the mysterious shaded figure staring down at them from on top of one of the vine covered walls...

Becuase The Watchers are always watching...

---------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 415 words