CHAPTER 62

It was as if I‘d witnessed the last cherry blossom of spring disappear and all that remained were cold, barren trees. "If Jiro isn't your name, then -"

"You believed in my fake name. You believed in it so much, it minus will have been my real one. You should have seen yourself that day when you thought you learned of my forbidden name. It was obvious you were scared at first, but now, here you are, unafraid to say it. It's good that you didn’t announce my real name. Otherwise you probably would’ve been beaten on the spot, and I know I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself for that." He reached up to put his hand on my shoulder, but he must have realized how strictly bound he was now by the rules and traditions of his status and that men of power were watching him, because he quickly retracted his arm. He took a step back. "You’re much more courageous than you know Terr." 

General Fung lifted his nose at me as the Young Emperor joined him at his side. The two then proceeded to towards the ship. 

Never again would I be in his presence. 

"Well if it isn't the tea boy," Minister Lu snarled. "I thought we’d banished you from the temple. But here you are, someone who thinks himself special enough to be the Imperial Family‘s pet."

"Leave him alone father," Ai interjected.

"And you." Minister Lu turned a stern gaze to his daughter. "My own blood, a traitor to her own country."

"You're wrong. You're the traitor." 

He struck her hard with the flat of his hand. She reeled to the side, then fell to her knees, nursing her cheek.

I growled as I stepped to intervene. A hand grasped my arm. I peered back at Kassashmei. She shook her head in earnest. Frustrated, I yanked my arm free and reluctantly remained where I was, looking on as the hateful father of the girl he’d struck loomed coldly over us all. 

He gave a commanding gesture with his other hand, summoning a group of imperial soldiers, which quickly swarmed over us. The Young Emperor's personal guard surrendered their weapons. "You are now all prisoners of the glorious nation of Rui Nan. You are the property of the government, which we will use however we deem fit. Soldiers, take them away."

"What about my sister?!" Lai protested suddenly. "I did what you wanted. Now give her back to me."

The minister grunted. "You will see her soon enough." 

I turned my eyes upwards to the grand ship that cast its grim shadow over us like a mountain against the sky. It's incredible size bristled with cannons and the decorative brass plating that dotted its hull shimmered like an enormous jewel amidst the pale light of the sun. And upon the edge of its bow, emerged the distant image of two figures leaning over the railing and looking down discerningly. At once, I knew who they were. Ai's protective brother, Masa, and Lai's lost sister, Mai watched us like hawks suspicious of their newly acquired prey. They were standing close to one another. . . too close. Then I realized they were holding hands. 

In the next moment my vision of the two figures in the distance began to blur.

Weakness once again swept over me. It was a feeling more terrible than any I’d ever experienced. My body began to sweat profusely, then, with little warning, I lost the strength to breath. My eyes widened as I felt a stinging pain spread through me, like a thousand piercing knives against my skin. I was scared, confused. I turned to face Kassashimei, but blacked out long before I could reach for her.

Many historians had written books speculating as to the reason behind General Fung's sudden departure from Rui Nan territory to a place deep within the continental interior. The sudden, earnest movement of his grand fleet from the conquered Eastern Kingdom to the neutral countries in the central mountains had caused great worry amongst the other nations. Publicly, General Fung announced that he was on a mission of goodwill, personally visiting diplomats along the way and negotiating routes for commerce and trade. Not a single country he passed had any recollection of him doing such things.