Chapter 2: A Shared Past

He reread the letter over and over, he didn't understand, what was he talking about? How did he know Charlie's dad? What did this all mean?

He took a look at the solid gray keycard, it had his father's name etched into one side and CBPW on the other.

"CBPW, what does this mean?" He thought to himself, nevermind that he needed to get back out to Charlie.

He ran out the front door and met with Charlie, she knew what he was going to say about his father, "I'm so sorry Michael."
Michael didn't even hear her, his heart beating so loudly in his head.

"Michael? Michael? HELLO MICHAEL!" Charlie shouted.

"Charlie, I need you to read this, it's about your dad, we need to go see your dad." Michael said mostly out of breath.

"Wait Michael shouldn't we wait for the police, and what about my dad, why would he come up?" Charlie asked, sounding exasperated.

"Here take this, hurry, get in, read it in the car." Michael said as he booked it to the car.

"Michael what are you doing? Michael, don't leave without me!" Charlie said as she ran to the car and hopped in. "You have some serious explaining to do, what did you find inside? What happened with your dad? Why are we going to see mine? Why are you in such a rush?" Charlie asked all in quick succession.

"My dad is dead. He was in his recliner with a needle in his arm..." Michael said solemnly as if just for the first time realizing his father was gone.

"Oh Michael..." Charlie said in a soft tone.

"No it's fine, I'm ok. He's gone and the only thing I can do is complete the task left to me." Michael stated.

Charlie opened the letter and began to read...

"Wait What?!? What does this all mean? And what's with this keycard?", Charlie exclaimed.

"Well, that card is the main reason we have to see your father. Speaking of, I didn't even know our fathers were business partners." Michael said.

"Neither did I, pretty strange to be completely honest, you'd think he would've mentioned it after you came over for the first time." Charlie said. "But that big project our dads were working on really does explain all the time I spent over at my aunt's house when I was younger. I wonder what it is?"

"Me too, but I'm honestly kind of nervous to find out." Michael said.

They continued driving, it took about two hours getting to Henry's house, as they arrived it was around 4pm. His car was in the driveway, so he must be home. They parked and ran to the front door.

***

"DAD! DAD!! IT'S US OPEN UP!" Charlie shouted as she banged on the door.

The door opened up from the inside.

"Whoa, whoa hold on there what's with all this noise? Charlie?
What a surprise, it's good to see you, oh and hello there Michael it's good to see you too." Henry said. "Well come in, come in, make yourselves at home, let's all take a seat, it seems you have a lot you wanna say".

Henry gestures to Michael to come and sit in the living room. Michael heads in and takes a seat on the couch. Henry and Charlie follow, Charlie sitting next to Michael and Henry sitting across on the other chair.

"Well how can I help you two?" Henry asked.

"It's about my father...William Afton.", Michael said.

Henry's expression went from his normal happy go lucky grin, to a solemn grimace, one of pain and remembrance.