Chapter 1

Robin was a sissy’s name, at least that’s how he always thought of it.  It wasn’t his parent’s first choice.  He’d been given the name as a peace offering to his maternal grandfather.  Grandpa Robin hadn’t approved of his parent’s marriage; he thought they were too young.  A stubborn man, he disowned his only daughter but when he held baby Robin in his arms the first time, all was forgiven.  At ten years old the boy was happy only his mom called him Robin while his daddy and friends called him Bobby. 

It was a typical Friday for young Bobby. He was walking home with his best friend, Spencer McCoy.  The boys talked excitedly and kicked up the leaves along the sidewalk as the crisp fall air turned their cheeks pink.  It was going to be a big weekend, Spencer was coming over on Saturday and the two friends were looking forward to their first sleepover since school started. 

“Did you get it yet?” asked Spencer.

“Yeap, the guy at GameStop said I got the first one,” Bobby replied proudly. 

“Kenny says Arkham City isn’t that great.”

“That’s because Kenny can’t get passed the first level,” said Bobby. 

“Yeah, he’s stupid,” Spencer agreed.

The boys walked along, giggling about Kenney’s intellect, when Spencer gave Bobby a playful shove with his shoulder.

“Kara likes you,” Spencer teased.

“Shut up!” Bobby blushed.

“Bobby and Kara sitting in a tree…” Spencer sang.

“Dork.” Bobby laughed and took a playful swing at his friend. 

Spencer ducked and ran down the street, “…k-i-s-s-i-n-g!”

Bobby chased his friend to the end of the block.  When they got to the corner both boys were panting for breath. 

“Well, I gotta go.  Have your mom bring you over early tomorrow,” said Bobby after he caught his breath. 

At the end of Wrenwood Lane there was a path which led through the woods which divided the Woodhaven subdivision.  Bobby and his family lived on the north side, Spencer on the south.  The dense woods covered ten square miles.  There were hiking and bike trails.  The developer hoped the woods would help sell custom homes to people who wanted to take advantage of nature in addition to the granite countertops and spa like bathrooms he offered them.  It was a great feature.  Families enjoyed the woods but some of the neighborhood kids feared them. 

There’s always a neighborhood boogeyman.  For the children living in the Woodhaven development the woods were a great place to play but as the sun went down and it started to get dark they took on a sinister aura.  The woods became the home of all the snarks and grumkins that could live in a child’s mind.  It was where the things hiding in your closet went when they weren’t busy trying to eat you and your little brother.  It was just after three when Bobby said his goodbye but the sun was already low on the horizon and it would get dark early that day. 

“You shouldn’t walk through there,” said Spencer, pulling his jacket tighter around his body.

“Why not, Spence, chicken?” Bobby teased.

“No! But there’s you know…things in there.”

“That’s just stuff other kids make up to scare you.  I walk through there every day and there’s nothing in there.”

“I don’t know.  That place gives me the creeps.”

“Well, we can talk about it tomorrow,” said Bobby.  “Tell your mom to pack your nightlight and Pampers in case you get scared, ya pussy.”